Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jury duty morning.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Jury duty morning.....

Here it is on the early morning of my jury duty. I have the day off for this and feel horrible as we are short on staff right now and it's going to make an impact on the other site supervisors that I am not there. I have to say I really resent the system for putting me in a position of having to make things difficult for my co-workers and for the Banquet Staffing Service. That said, I think I figured out how I can honestly get out of the system fair and square so that I can return to the Convention Center and make myself useful on the floor.

All I have to do is mention my anti-police brutality activism! I don't know why I hadn't thought of this earlier? What prosecutor would want me to serve on a jury based on my activism against American police? And what's really cool about this is that I am being totally 100% honest here........realistically, coming from the 85006, it's almost impossible to not be biased against the police and the system. Too bad I can't be disqualified based on zip code!

I'll come back later in the day and post how this adventure goes......here's hoping I can get out of the system's clutches by 11 AM so I can make myself useful for mid-day events at the Convention Center. Rob

Rob, I hated jury duty and was surprised and distressed when I was chosen. It was extremely stressful to sit in judgment on my peers.
    On the other hand, I felt good doing my civic duty and felt good that I made myself available to be on the jury, as I am a fair person and I would want someone like myself on a jury if I were ever in that situation.
    So for me, it was a matter of duty and of doing unto others as I would want done to me. I believe in our jury system and I need to do my part to make sure that we still have a jury system. I think it is a duty of citizenship, and transcends duty to my coworkers, and yes, I had to miss work and lost money.

I don't quite understand your take on this, as I believe that our jury system is one of the protections that we have as citizens. I don't understand why you are not invested in protecting a fair jury system.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Here it is on the early morning of my jury duty. I have the day off for this and feel horrible as we are short on staff right now and it's going to make an impact on the other site supervisors that I am not there. I have to say I really resent the system for putting me in a position of having to make things difficult for my co-workers and for the Banquet Staffing Service. That said, I think I figured out how I can honestly get out of the system fair and square so that I can return to the Convention Center and make myself useful on the floor.

All I have to do is mention my anti-police brutality activism! I don't know why I hadn't thought of this earlier? What prosecutor would want me to serve on a jury based on my activism against American police? And what's really cool about this is that I am being totally 100% honest here........realistically, coming from the 85006, it's almost impossible to not be biased against the police and the system. Too bad I can't be disqualified based on zip code!

I'll come back later in the day and post how this adventure goes......here's hoping I can get out of the system's clutches by 11 AM so I can make myself useful for mid-day events at the Convention Center. Rob
    What will you do if it’s just a fence line dispute?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post

Thats pretty funny, now the defense will certainly fight to keep you in the jury pool. Rob.......just suck it up and serve.

I had a jury experience in which I was in a minority that had a "reasonable doubt" that the prosecution had proven guilt. The majority seemed to believe that the police would not likely arrest, and that the prosecution surely would never proceed against a person unless they had done something to deserve it. It was stressful for me, because in that jury room I was trying to stir up some critical thinking, but most of the others wanted to say "guilty, and get it over with". But the stress on us jurors was small compared to the ordeal of incarceration that could have befallen the accused and his family.

I was on a jury for a week, I guess middle aged, white haired ladies are not that threatening. I didn't even get asked too many questions (they never asked if I had been in a fight, assuming I hadn't been). I was very glad to be there, the case was total crap against this young man and I was part of making sure things were fair. I didn't have anything against the police actions in it, and it was interesting the negative comments about the female police chief. In the end it was self defense, a very drunk smaller guy jumped a younger, sober and athletic guy. In one punch it was over but still self defense.

I loved the opportunity to be on Jury duty and the chance to learn how the system works. You really have to prove someone is guilty beyond a 'shadow of a doubt' once something goes to trial. It was sad watching so many try to get out of it during the process, very selfish.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I loved the opportunity to be on Jury duty and the chance to learn how the system works. You really have to prove someone is guilty beyond a 'shadow of a doubt' once something goes to trial. It was sad watching so many try to get out of it during the process, very selfish.
    I dont see it as selfish if one’s livlihood is compromised, and considering how often people here in the city are called for jury duty, it is a burdon.

DH, in the days he was working, cheerfully went to jury duty because a day or too away from work was something we could afford. But many people cant.

I was a gubmnt employee and was compensated for sitting in jury room.

I would have liked to have had the experience, but I was called for a Washington County case just after I had moved out of state. My SO was on a jury that soundly acquitted the defendant.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm in the lounge adjacent to the juror assembly area as I type this. This is so bizarre.....I keep getting texts from work as the person who is filling in for me doesn't know the role - through no fault of their own may I add - and I keep getting texted with questions and asking for advice. This is very new - the only communication I've ever gotten from jobs on time off was desperate attempts to try to get me to come in. So bizarre to be asked for advice.

And something else bizarre today too was that a judge came down to talk to the assembled jurors and it was like he was sales pitching the entire concept of jury service - My guess is there's been a lot of pushback as many people can't afford to show their face here given the declining standards of living in America, low wages for this cost of living, and increasing prices with no real increases to match. In 2005 when I went through this process it was as if there was an expectation that you submit to the process - now there seems to be an awareness that for many people, it's both too much to ask and excessive in general (I refer to economics here and how many people are one paycheck away from being homeless in America). Interesting to see the process kiss the rear end of those summoned ever so slightly. Rob

Thread Information