Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Jury duty morning.....

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    In Arizona there is no expungement as I understand until your 99th birthday, at which point your record reverts to clear.
    You must live in some alternative Arizona.

http://azlawhelp.org/articles_info.c...&articleid=147

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    You must live in some alternative Arizona.

http://azlawhelp.org/articles_info.c...&articleid=147
    Bae, if you would read the link you provided, you would see that the article itself states that an expungment in Arizona merely sets aside the guilt - the record is still there and is accessible via background check -not only the original conviction but also the arrest record. These do not go away as the result of a set aside in Arizona - this is something I know as my activism has now branched out into criminal justice reform - something I will be tackling with other activists once my hours are cut way back this April. Rob

PS Came back to add, don't believe me - read paragraph 8 for yourself, beginning with the words, "In Arizona......" for proof. Your own article summarizes this reality that I refer to much better than I ever could. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    yes I'm not sure I'd recommend some of these jobs except if one was an illegal pretty much though as they hire all illegals pretty much (farming, landscaping and construction - uh yep - in any state with a large illegal population you are not going to easily break into much of that as a citizen and maybe even less if you aren't even of latino ancestry). There might be some construction for government or something that requires citizenship. Amazon warehouses maybe or something though.

there is that
    Goodwill has been publicly called out both in Arizona and online for their policy of not hiring anyone with any kind of record whatsoever, a record that dates back to 2007. As to the Salvation Army I don't know, perhaps they do work with those with minor records, here I will admit I don't know whether they do or not. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    It is unlawful to deny a job based solely on a misdemeanor in Arizona.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...n-records.html

also, I knew many people who got in minor scrapes and were arrested and convicted of misdemeanors and dwi’s, as I worked in mental health for many years. They got jobs doing farm work, or worked for landscapers, in construction or in warehouses. Is that not the purpose of employers like goodwill and Salvation Army to help people get on their feet? To be successful though when you are given a chance you have to be hard working, on time and compliant with all directions.
    As to your first sentence, it happens every day in Arizona. I can't speak for other states, but it happens every day in Arizona. And it is very difficult to prove and many of the people it happens to can't afford an attorney and are so beaten down to begin with they just give up. Realistically, as I've slowly explored yet another area in which America works against it's citizens and not for them, I'm yet more afraid of this country. Rob

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    yes I'm not sure I'd recommend some of these jobs except if one was an illegal pretty much though as they hire all illegals pretty much (farming, landscaping and construction - uh yep - in any state with a large illegal population you are not going to easily break into much of that as a citizen and maybe even less if you aren't even of latino ancestry). There might be some construction for government or something that requires citizenship. Amazon warehouses maybe or something though.

there is that
    arizona has an unemployment rate of just over 4%. Can you provide proof of your statement that illegals are hired before citizens?

Bae, if you would read the link you provided, you would see that the article itself states that an expungment in Arizona merely sets aside the guilt - the record is still there and is accessible via background check -not only the original conviction but also the arrest record. These do not go away as the result of a set aside in Arizona - this is something I know as my activism has now branched out into criminal justice reform - something I will be tackling with other activists once my hours are cut way back this April. Rob

PS Came back to add, don't believe me - read paragraph 8 for yourself, beginning with the words, "In Arizona......" for proof. Your own article summarizes this reality that I refer to much better than I ever could. Rob
    a good place to start with justice reform would be in a courtroom serving on a jury.

arizona has an unemployment rate of just over 4%. Can you provide proof of your statement that illegals are hired before citizens?
    In the Phoenix area this holds true....check out the stats for Yuma and for Nogales and for Santa Cruz County (this is a small County right on the border with Mexico that has Nogales on the US Side as it's County Seat). The whole state is not low unemployment like Phoenix is. Though I will say that over half this state's population lives in Metro Phoenix - 4.5 million in the Metro Area out of a statewide population of just over 7 million. (Arizona just cracked over 7 million in population and is now the 14th most populous state). Rob

a good place to start with justice reform would be in a courtroom serving on a jury.
    Part of me agree with you - had I been called up and served I could have auto-voted not guilty and spared an individual a permanent criminal record for life - this would be true reform and a very pure form of reform, too. As it unfolded, not a single person from any of the juror groups went upstairs to a courtroom for the selection process the day I served. So now reform via this method was possible - not my fault. Rob

As to your first sentence, it happens every day in Arizona. I can't speak for other states, but it happens every day in Arizona. And it is very difficult to prove and many of the people it happens to can't afford an attorney and are so beaten down to begin with they just give up. Realistically, as I've slowly explored yet another area in which America works against it's citizens and not for them, I'm yet more afraid of this country. Rob
    Please provide more than anecdotal proof of this. If it is true, why have not these people banded together for change? Is there no aclu or legal aid in Arizona?

Perhaps American is not the one working against it’s citizens, but the citizens themselves. People can overcome remarkable hurdles. Women would not be voting, African Americans would still enslaved and be using coloreds only bathrooms and ten year olds would be working in factories if they just stood around waiting and hoping for things to change. Life is hard and unfair. Every day is a fight for millions of Americans. But change does not come easy.

no and noone ever could because what would proof even consist of? If I had data that most of the labor force in various industries was illegal would that be proof or would I have to prove citizens were turned down for the job (the latter is near impossible to ever have proof for). Even showing most of various industries is illegals isn't so easy because employers don't exactly announce that they hire illegals as well that is technically illegal - if one is going to break the law it is generally a good idea not to announce it and even to have fake documents if you can. If anyone has this data perhaps it is the IRS but I don't know how much they share it. My boyfriend does work in the construction industry though, it's no secret.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information