Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Your list of best songs and artists ever

I've been thinking this over for a while. This is probably my final answer, at least today. Excluding Jazz and Classical.

Imagine - John Lennon
    Mr. Skin - Spirit
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    The Dutchman - Steve Goodman
    Harvest Moon - Neil Young
    Some Velvet Morning - Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
    Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
    I've Been Everywhere - Johnny Cash
    I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow - Soggy Bottom Boys
    Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett
    Angel from Montgomery - John Prine
    Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell
    Tell Mamma - Etta James
    Freedom (opening song at Woodstock) - Richie Havens

It took a while to decide what was the best song Ever!

England in 1877, Arthur Sullivan wrote a song setting to music the poem by Adelaide Proctor... The Lost Chord

The lyrics are dear for people who forget.

I will put in a youtube link to a version played by Timothy Moke on trumpet and Georg Masanz on the pipe organ at St Jakob Church, Zurich. At about 3:50 they begin to soar, and the organ is full-tug at about 5:15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQkXGyHXYg

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post

England in 1877, Arthur Sullivan wrote a song setting to music the poem by Adelaide Proctor... The Lost Chord

I will put in a youtube link to a version played by Timothy Moke on trumpet and Georg Masanz on the pipe organ at St Jakob Church, Zurich. At about 3:50 they begin to soar, and the organ is full-tug at about 5:15
    That would have been fabulous to hear live in person. Digital reproduction loses so much of the ranges and the impact of the organ would have been awesome to feel.

Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The Cranberries - Dreams

Totally forgot about Dolores O’Riordan until she checked out of the hotel today, literally. Quite a unique voice. What a Shame.

https://youtu.be/Yam5uK6e-bQ
    very sad, i have a pandora station of cranberries

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

this is indeed beautiful. Not sure if in my opinion it is the most beautiful, but it is exquisite. I sat outside for the sunrise this morning wrapped in a quilt and here is what accompanied the music from my back porch

Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful! I listened through headphones, but can only imagine the pipe organ live. I could almost see Flowerseverywhere's sunrise.

When you get into classical favorites it's like going through a few centuries of compositions, so there's a lot of good music. Debussy's "La Mer" (the sea) is a favorite of mine. I think it might be accurate to call it a tonal poem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOCucJw7iT8

flowerseverywhere,

I can imagine you had a fabulous sit -- cocooned in a quilt with your scene.

It was 22 beautiful degrees here in the Northern Highlands of Wisconsin, when I stepped out on the deck to snap a picture of the trees in the back yard. I was facing east as well, about 10:30 AM.

000_0213 (2).jpg

I have loved seeing the list of songs bringing back so many memories. I am in awe of what is available on youtube. It is one of the things that we take for granted now but really is amazing.
    Had no idea that a trumpet could hold its own so beautifully with a pipe organ so loved that link, Dado
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Layla by Derek and the Dominos (Eric Clapton).
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    flowerseverywhere,

I can imagine you had a fabulous sit -- cocooned in a quilt with your scene.

It was 22 beautiful degrees here in the Northern Highlands of Wisconsin, when I stepped out on the deck to snap a picture of the trees in the back yard. I was facing east as well, about 10:30 AM.

i remember those days. A different kind of beauty.

Thread Information