Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Socks!

My REI merino wool socks get no special treatment. Wash on cold, dry on low, just like all my other clothes.

My most favorite. We use to do some of the same trade shows and they were always a popular booth. Solemate socks https://wholesale.socklady.com/aboutus.php And they don't match so if you lose one, o.k.

Tall ones for boots, as mentioned previously: Bombas https://bombas.com/collections/women...ight_knee-high

For serious hiking you might want some silk sock liners to wear under wool. Wool always irritates me and I found the silk good for wisking away foot sweat. https://wintersilks.blair.com/p/8902...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd like to see the boots you got. We're in the market for new hiking boots. I usually go with Vasque but looking for new options.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    My REI merino wool socks get no special treatment. Wash on cold, dry on low, just like all my other clothes.
    That's good to know. I always assumed wool had to be hand washed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    However, you guys have me thinking about the luxury of good socks. But as my son says, "A luxury once tasted becomes a necessity" so I will enter the luxury sock territory with a little trepidation.
    Me too.
    I thought my sock philosophy was fully matured as I transitioned 25 or so years ago to owning only Gold Toe socks in either black or white. They all looked exactly alike, were easy to sort and if one got lost, the remaining one could be put back in service once another one disappeared.

This all changed over the summer though when my wife presented me with 5 pair of Eddie Bauer, mid-calf socks with reinforced heels and toes and ribbed arch support. I never knew socks had gotten so high tech and could feel so good on my feet. I've worn nothing but those 5 pair for the past 6 months.

Now, this thread has me looking at pictures of all the brands mentioned and wondering how I can justify to myself buying $25 per pair socks. I'm finding that it's much easier than I would have thought.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I haven't tried Duluth Trading socks, but we've bought other clothes there for my husband and they are very good quality. They carry women's clothing, including socks.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I have both Smartwool and Darn Tough socks. For the money I think they wear a couple or few times longer than el cheapo socks, and there's the lifetime warranty on the Darn Tough. Neither are what I would call summer socks. I buy Carhartt cotton crew socks for warmer seasons. They come in different colors but I usually buy a few pairs of the same color at once so I don't have to sort them. They are a little more expensive than the run of the mill cotton crews, but also feel and wear better. I maybe get a year or two out of them, but have wool socks that I've had for several years.

Float On: Not sure whose boots you were referencing, but finding a new pair of waterproof, insulated "snow sneaker" type boots was a major quest for me this year, and I settled on Sorel Whitney Short Laced Snow Boots. I'm pretty happy with them so far. The North Face boots they replaced were a tiny bit more comfy, but these are still quite comfy and I think are built to last longer. I don't know if the snow resistance is as much of a consideration for you.
    https://www.zappos.com/p/sorel-whitn..._source=google

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've been tempted by the Bombas ads. I've gifted my kids Smart Wool socks--never had them myself because of the cost--I haven't gotten feedback on them from the kids, but they sure look and feel nice.

I like to buy only black socks, same kind, to reduce the dreaded orphan sock syndrome.

I'm not real fussy about socks either, and haven't found a particular brand that's not too loose, not too tight. I currently have been wearing Hanes black crew socks out of Target and they've been fine.

I haven't felt the need for thick wool socks this winter. We've had virtually no snow in NJ, and I'm not a cold hands/cold feet person. Maybe if I wind up in VT for the winter I'll definitely investigate warmer socks, but I don't like the idea of having to give them special washing treatment. I guess I'd be pickier if I did more hiking.

However, you guys have me thinking about the luxury of good socks. But as my son says, "A luxury once tasted becomes a necessity" so I will enter the luxury sock territory with a little trepidation.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I went today and bought the black socks from Target. Not even on sale... !!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Socks are one of a few things I will not buy secondhand unless forced to by economics. They are interestingly something else I come close to but not quite end out offshoring to Mexico. What I mean by this funky statement is that the best deals I've ever found on new socks in the US are in Nogales, Arizona, at stores that mostly Mexican national day trippers on Border Crossing Cards, shop at. Cheap socks and they seem to last longer than socks purchased at any big box retailer. Perhaps this is a border thing, I don't know. Rob

There's nothing I love more than slipping into a new pair of socks. For years my sock of choice was the Thorlo Light Hiker, but I think their quality has gone down a bit. I've sampled Darn Tuff, REI and Smartwool, but haven't found another favorite yet.

One source of frustration: I have a pair of socks I love--they are durable and cushy--but I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT BRAND THEY ARE!!! There are no identifying marks on them whatsoever.

Merino wool socks are really amazing--that stuff simply does not smell.

Thread Information