Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Socks!

Let's Talk Socks!

After all my years of frugality to get me where I am today, I simply CANNOT stand buying the crappy knee socks I've always gotten at Target for $2.50 a pair. Made of inconsistent and very dubious quality, they have caused me to curse many times over the years. Sometimes the elastic at the top is so tight it leaves dug-in impressions on my calves, other times the elastic has the dang things floating down over my heels inside my boots.

In my new-found financial fortune since moving to NM, I thought maybe I would start springing for Smart Wool socks but am really, really balking at paying up to $20 for ONE PAIR of socks! I simply cannot get myself to justify doing that. I would need many pairs, as I do not have any laundry facilities and have to go to do the wash at a laundromat in Santa Fe. Plus I tend to lose one sock out of a pair...

So, that being stated, are there any other brands of decent, comfortable socks I should be looking into? I really like the tall knee-hi style with some nice cushioning. I just sprung for a $200 pair of quality lug soles work-hiking-in-the-desert-style lace up boots-while-avoiding rattlesnake bites on the ankles.

What are your favorite brands to try?

I have no idea, but I would hand-wash whichever ones you end up buying.

SmartWool socks are one of my few indulgences, and I don't apologize. They keep my feet warm, and that is priceless to me. But I don't wear knee-highs, so can't help you there.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

When I travel to the US later this month, I am going to look for Thurlos socks. They are wonderful but pricey, not $20 though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Fox River and Vermont Tough are a couple of other brands in that quality level. Fox River tends to be less expensive so that is usually what I buy.

SQ: I just recently got my first Smartwool socks and I'm sorry to say that I don't like them. I find them very tight on the calves and I have really thin legs. From a tactile perspective, I just don't find them to feel very pleasant against my skin. I would like to try Darn Tough socks from VT, but I'm not up for spending more big bucks on socks I might not like just now, so maybe I'll try those next winter.
    I went ahead and ordered more of my my favorite go-to knee socks, Hue's flat knits. I got them at 3 pairs for $21 on Amazon. I find them perfectly comfortable, but they only last a couple of years. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic for durability. The Darn Toughs are apparently guaranteed to last, but if I don't like them, having them last forever isn't anything to get excited about.

Bombas. They're pricey, but well-made and they donate a pair to a homeless shelter for every pair they sell. https://bombas.com/?utm_source=bing&...utm_content=A1
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I am with you, I bought cheap socks for years. I now buy smart wool and darn tuff socks to wear for my daily hikes and walks and bike. I wash and hang dry and can see like they both advertise a life time sock. I bought life is good for fun socks. Never venturing back to WM brands again.

Don't know the brand, but I have found bamboo socks to be some of the most comfortable ones I have ever worn. The kind I have are usually bought in a "gift shop" in an artsy/crafty kind of place. Usually around $15.00/pair.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I would like to try Darn Tough socks from VT, but I'm not up for spending more big bucks on socks I might not like just now, so maybe I'll try those next winter.
    I've been wearing DT socks exclusively for five or six years now. They have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. I have used it a few times to replace worn pairs at no cost.

Thread Information