Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Socks!

Do the DT socks have a pleasant feeling fabric? The SW socks I got are almost like compression socks. I think they are more of a performance ski sock style.

ANMs OXO post reminded me that I should post a sock update and give a shout-out to Bombas. I did end up trying Darn Toughs this winter, and I didn't like them either! I found them to be super tight, and I have really slim legs, (I weigh 100 lbs). I only wear knee socks, so maybe folks would have less tightness issues with shorter socks. Anyhow, I also gave Bombas a try this winter, ordering 3 pairs of cotton and 1 pair of merino knee socks. I did not like the cotton socks but I love the merino ones, and they have become my favorite socks for walking out in the really cold weather. Bombas has an unconditional satisfaction guarantee, so I e-mailed them and said I didn't like the cotton ones. This was the reply I received:
    Josh (Bombas)

Jan 10, 11:42 AM EST

My name is Josh and I'm a member of the Happiness Team here at Bombas. Thanks for reaching out about your return request. I'm sorry to hear that you're not loving the cotton socks!

You're all set!

You should have already received notification of your refund and should see the funds return to your account in 3-5 business days.

Instead of worrying about sending them back to us, please feel free to share your pairs with family members or friends or even feel free to donate them to a local organization that accepts clothing donations.

Thanks for giving us a try!

I have to say that it doesn't get much better than that, and I will be ordering more of the merino wool ones.

I love bamboo fiber, and very sturdy for a long time. I have also handwashed and even darned good socks. I like the smart wool okay, bamboo a wonderful luxury. My most expensive socks are the specialized vans socks. They are rubberized on the heel so they dont slip in the vans shoes

The REI brand merino wool socks are great.

Really odd but I bought some heavier weight socks at the dollar store a year ago and have been very happy with them. I haven't been able to find the same kind since so I guess I just got lucky.

I'm not too picky about socks but I find that the heels wear out on just about anything I wear. My work socks are always black and I'm always darning the heels (sometimes the toes too). Santa brought me a new large pack and I finally threw away the holey ones.

My riding socks are Smart Wool hiking ones (with the extra cushioning on the ball and heel) and they are finally wearing out after many years. I bought those from Sierra Trading Post as "irregulars" but can't find anything wrong with them.

Walmart and they last at least a year

I've been tempted by the Bombas ads. I've gifted my kids Smart Wool socks--never had them myself because of the cost--I haven't gotten feedback on them from the kids, but they sure look and feel nice.

I like to buy only black socks, same kind, to reduce the dreaded orphan sock syndrome.

I'm not real fussy about socks either, and haven't found a particular brand that's not too loose, not too tight. I currently have been wearing Hanes black crew socks out of Target and they've been fine.

I haven't felt the need for thick wool socks this winter. We've had virtually no snow in NJ, and I'm not a cold hands/cold feet person. Maybe if I wind up in VT for the winter I'll definitely investigate warmer socks, but I don't like the idea of having to give them special washing treatment. I guess I'd be pickier if I did more hiking.

However, you guys have me thinking about the luxury of good socks. But as my son says, "A luxury once tasted becomes a necessity" so I will enter the luxury sock territory with a little trepidation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Bombas socks are durable.

A friend bought me a pair of expensive bamboo socks and they didn’t last long at all.

Thread Information