Thread: Arpaio's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.............

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Arpaio's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.............

So I'm innocently sitting here in the lounge adjacent to the jury reception area waiting for updates as to what's going on, emailing the Banquet Staffing Service regarding issues from two nights ago (one temp attacked another on site but outdoors) when low and behold.....I get a notification from yahoo.com news that Arpaio will supposedly be running for retiring Arizona Senator Jeff Flake's seat. Oh. Dear. God. Please, please, please tell me that this isn't true........or beam me up somewhere else as I'm not seeing much intelligent life here.

Think things are bad now? Arpaio is a gift that has kept on giving and giving and giving for years (sarcasm very much intended and very much toned down). Can anyone even fathom how inept and corrupt he would be on a national stage, and how drunk with power and inappropriate decisions he would quickly become? At least I've got something new to protest provided that I can find some time.......Rob

I can't believe we're only a couple of months away from the 2018 primary season.

Arpaio is 85 years old.
    And, voters have finally realized he's not what they thought they had voted for, now that they're having to pay the millions of dollars in clean up from his legal settlements and attorney bills.
    Just a recap:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06d67e337ea8a

My prediction: zero chance he gets the nod.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I can't believe we're only a couple of months away from the 2018 primary season.
    The fun never stops! This year promises to be epic. Between the election and whatever shoes drop on the Mueller investigation I'm thinking that an investment in Orville Reddenbacher would probably be wildly successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Arpaio is 85 years old.
    And, voters have finally realized he's not what they thought they had voted for, now that they're having to pay the millions of dollars in clean up from his legal settlements and attorney bills.
    Just a recap:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06d67e337ea8a

My prediction: zero chance he gets the nod.
    Lainey, I have always respected your opinion, and I hope, hope, hope you are right. I can only begin to imagine the wreckage Arpaio would try to instigate in such a role. Arizona has paid enough for this fool (nicest word I could come up with) - why should the rest of the country have to be exposed to him, too? Rob

Yppej
    He won't win. He's very far out the mainstream, same problem Roy Moore had even before the molestation reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    He won't win. He's very far out the mainstream, same problem Roy Moore had even before the molestation reports.
    I so hope both you and Lainey are right! Rob

Didn't he do poorly in his last election attempt for sheriff? Maybe I'm just not aware, but I don't recall hearing that he's done anything to regain the trust of people who had previously voted for him but didn't the last time around. To be sure it will depend on who he's up against, but suburban voters, a large part of AZ's electorate, don't seem to be in the mood for anyone trumpesque at this time if the recent off-cycle elections in VA and NJ and elsewhere are any indication.

Frankly unless the republicans can come up with someone better they should probably be quaking in their boots right now. He's not Roy Moore toxic, but pretty close and AZ is not nearly the republican stronghold that Alabama is. There are an awful lot of Hispanic people in AZ and the republican party seems determined to lose them nationwide for the foreseeable future in the same way they lost them in CA after the Prop 187 ballot initiative that turned even rural areas of CA solidly blue thanks to sizable numbers of Mexican and other Hispanic voters.

Thread Information