Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vegetable experiment

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I do eat oranges. I kind of like citrus these days. I take a multivitamin too.
    Pretty soon all the sexy citrus will be coming out. I've been loving the navel oranges lately, but minneolas, honeybells, blood oranges, and golden nugget mandarins are just around the corner!

UL, I am with you on the arugula....just not to my taste. Of course, I don't care for kale either. I think I just am not a "bitter" fan.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

OP - I've been on the same mission to introduce more veggies into my life.

I recently read a blog wherein the gal oven-roasts lots of veggies every Sunday. Then she adds them to soup and other things during the work week.

I started doing this. I've been roasting up large chunks of bell peppers, zucchini slices, onion chunks, tomato quarters, carrot chunks, potato chunks, thick slices leek, and more. Thin slices or small chunks of anything tend to burn.

I spray the baking pans with coconut oil, add veggies, then spray again. I roast them in a 410F oven for 30 min then take out pans and turn/toss. Then it's another 30 - 40 min of roasting.

While roasting, I set out some tupperware containers. I put some great canned soup in each. When the veggies are roasted, I toss in some to each container with soup according to what goes well with each flavour.

Soups I like: Amy's split pea, southwestern vegetable, Thai Coconut, etc. Wolfgang Puck soups -any flavour but lentil. Some box soups including Roasted Red Pepper with tomato and Mushroom.

Soup adds complex flavour and more nutrients. And ease!

Sprinkle just a bit of grated parmesan on top for big flavour and just a few calories.

I keep hammering these veggies! Maybe it is all mental, but I feel like I have had more "good days" recently of feeling a bit better.

You're eating better and exercising. Our bodies and minds are so connected - I'm glad you're feeling good.

I keep hammering these veggies! Maybe it is all mental, but I feel like I have had more "good days" recently of feeling a bit better.
    Don't discount the mental (law of attraction!). And don't discount that whatever condition you're treating did not develop overnight, so the "fix" may take some time, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

A colleague, I noticed, had a tiny ceramic knife at work he uses to slice apples, pears, etc. Apparently there is no policy against kitchen knives at work. I asked him about it (he is an old timer) as well as others.

So I went out and got me one of those tiny ceramic kitchen knives. Came in real handy for the red bell pepper I ate with lunch!

I also noticed another coworker has his own mini fridge! Clever idea!

Now for a proper update:

I am still eating veggies daily. And while I still cannot say they taste good, several don't taste bad. And I can probably live with that. Eating veggies daily also makes me less prone to eat unhealthy things. I am not fully sure why yet... But that is the case.

I think going "dairy-minimal" helps too. Other than a cup of kefir a day the only dairy I get is what is added to the Indian food I eat once a week. And I eschew the paneer, though I know they add a spoon or so of creme or yogurt to many veggie and lentil dishes.

I just keep telling myself this: "Sometimes it is not what you abstain from eating that matters as much as what you do eat."

Yppej
    Eating veggies daily also makes me less prone to eat unhealthy things. I am not fully sure why yet...
    The fiber fills you up.

Today is the first day it really, actually felt normal to eat veggies.

Thread Information