Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campfire foods?

Campfire foods?

Any ideas or favorite campfire foods?

When I was a kid a redneck neighbor had a cauldron that hung over the fire on a tripod type thing. We'd make stews.

Obviously we'd make bratwurst and sometimes a "hobo dinner."

Obviously my mind is fixated on springtime! haha

Well, since you already said hobo dinners and the combos of such are endless, I think that would be my go-to.

Don't know how healthy you want to be, but beanie weenies?

Hot dogs with chili.

We like walking tacos. Basically a bag of corn chips or Doritos which you then add taco fillings to.

Grilled veggies and or meats in a burrito.

Yppej
    Marshmallows.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post

We like walking tacos. Basically a bag of corn chips or Doritos which you then add taco fillings to.
    Sounds decadent!

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    Well, since you already said hobo dinners and the combos of such are endless, I think that would be my go-to.
    This spring I am thinking of a hobo dinner like this:
    -Trout I catch at a nearby lake, filleted and skinless.
    -Olive Oil
    -Small cubed redskins and yams
    -Green beans
    -Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper

At one time fresh trout stuffed with pineapple chunks, wrapped in foil and baked over hots coals was a favorite. After a bear encounter in camp (not fish related) I no longer cook fish in camp. Or bacon or other fresh meat for that matter. Now I never cook over an open fire and use a camp stove instead. I tend towards thing that are simple to pack and fix like canned pork and beans, canned vegetarian chili, cheese, peanut butter and crackers, and occasionally some of the specialty dehydrated camp foods. At one time I came into a batch of MRE's which were pretty nice, but I tended to high grade out the deserts before leaving home.

Food preparation and clean up without modern kitchen conveniences can get to be an ordeal. I usually have plenty to do when camping and can be a chef at home. When I camp with a partner, there has to be a little more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    At one time fresh trout stuffed with pineapple chunks, wrapped in foil and baked over hots coals was a favorite. After a bear encounter in camp (not fish related) I no longer cook fish in camp. Or bacon or other fresh meat for that matter. Now I never cook over an open fire and use a camp stove instead. I tend towards thing that are simple to pack and fix like Campbell's pork and beans, canned vegetarian chili, cheese, peanut butter and crackers, and occasionally some of the specialty dehydrated camp foods. At one time I came into a batch of MRE's which were pretty nice, but I tended to high grade out the deserts before leaving home.
    MREs! Whoa! Reminds me of my childhood. MREs were a very normal part of our diet, as my dad was a survivalist.

Some MREs are actually yummy!

The trout and pineapple chunks sounds like a really good idea. I will try it this spring! Excellent idea.

I had built a little fire pit in my backyard as a kid. Pork & beans was a true favorite!

UL, I actually thought MREs were something of a luxury. Some of the meats were a little mysterious, but they had all sorts of other goodies. I recall reading that one of Edward Abbey's camping standby's was to fry a pork chop in a pan and at the end to pour a can of pork and beans into the pan. I've tried it at home and it's pretty good, but tend to avoid meat these days. Everything seems to taste better camping!

I went camping 1 1/2 weeks last summer with only refrigeration for a short time. I was high in altitude so I was able to keep some cheese safely for awhile. There is food that just tastes good camping that doesn't taste good any other time. That really wasn't over a campfire however, I did love gravy from a dry mix on everything,

I like anything in foil, chicken with potatoes, summer squash, peppers, onion, and some spices. You could do the same thing with fish. Of course hot dogs on a stick with pastry dough wrapped around them.

Thread Information