Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetable experiment

Vegetable experiment

As I noted in other threads, I have been going through some health problems over the past 6 months. I have kept private about it and I intend to keep all details private.

But I was told by my doctors that I need to live a much healthier lifestyle and that a rising tide will lift all boats. So if I improve my overall health then my health problems will be less of an issue and I will be more likely to overcome them.

So starting January 1st I have been experimenting with veggies. I just eat them first thing in the morning while I still have grit and determination. haha

I eat either raw or steamed veggies every day (sometimes they are roasted, but it is almost always raw or steamed).

I am going to do this for three months, initially, to see how it effects me health. I have also been given the word by the doctor that I can work out again -- I had not worked out at all in about 3 months. I am integrating more cardio too, like 10 minutes of jump rope four days a week (and work up to 20, I hope).

Anyway, I am going to use this thread for a wee bit of accountability. So thanks in advance!

As always, snark is welcome. But so are good ideas and suggestions.

I don't want you to be embarrassed......but it would be good to know the problems you're having. What your symptoms are might help us give suggestions on what to do. If you can't do that, maybe you could P.M. me. I don't know if I could help.........but I could try.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I don't want you to be embarrassed......but it would be good to know the problems you're having. What your symptoms are might help us give suggestions on what to do.
    Nope. Thanks though.

While I commend your efforts, I have found that a complete lifestyle review was necessary for me - what I was doing right and what needed to be deleted and what need modification. Changing just one thing doesn't solve anything really IMO as we are a composite being reacting to our multiple choices each day.
    I reduced the starch amounts, ate even fewer sweets than my usual pattern, chose the right amount fo protein from a variety of sources for my lifestyle and body, deleted snacks beyond a fruit and some cheese and added more veggies of different types.

Joel Fuhrman had some good suggestions when I needed to increase my veggies intake creating enthusiasm for making the change which is really helpful.
    Wishing that your diet is fun and explore the wonderful variety that we have.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Good luck, UL!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Aw UL, I,wish I could pass a quarter of my vegetable chomping affinity to you. i love the things. I am less of a fruit eater, but still like it all.

When we went to Romania I was concerned about that cuisine being a meat and potatoes place, but I forgot that poor people dont eat that much meat. These country people knew how to grow and prepare vegetables, yum!

and that reminds me. Consider looking for the most tasty vegetables possible. I dont have practical advice for that and I can assure you that every locally grown veg isnt necessarily the best tasting. But local is a factor.

Just this week we had an Acorn type squash that was simply fabulous. It was soooooo full of rich taste! But that was not the norm, some of them are meh. And they are all home grown. This particular squash was grown in the good soil of Iowa so perhaps that made a difference and our clay soil grown squash is a lesser product.

Also, you are on the right track to pursue third work cooking, cuisines with little mest. The
    chnese do fabulous the gs with veggetables and bits of meat.

I love my veggies, even when i am not vegetarian i eat a lot of veggies. My one tip is fancy eggs, if you eat scrambled eggs. Much easier than an omelette. I can get almost a cup of veggies mixed in if i have spinach or chard that cooks down. I put in greens, summer squash, red pepper, and sometimes mushrooms with a couple eggs.

Oh i did have one more tip, swiss chard keeps in the fridge much better than spinach so i don't buy much spinach any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I love my veggies, even when i am not vegetarian i eat a lot of veggies. My one tip is fancy eggs, if you eat scrambled eggs. Much easier than an omelette. I can get almost a cup of veggies mixed in if i have spinach or chard that cooks down. I put in greens, summer squash, red pepper, and sometimes mushrooms with a couple eggs.

Oh i did have one more tip, swiss chard keeps in the fridge much better than spinach so i don't buy much spinach any more.
    We grow lots of chard. Also spinach. today DH plans to harvest a bowl of spinach from his cold frames.

Making some fritta-type of thing, made in a muffin pan, might be a good way to get in some vegetables. Plus, you can do these over the weekend and freeze them, and just thaw the night before. Good room temp or warm. Just some sauteed veggies, including lots of greens, with some eggs and a little milk. No pie crust necessary.

And if you're a person who can stomach fruit in the morning, but not veggies, you can use zucchini as a stand in for apple if you are making, for example, muffins or a coffee cake. Saute the peeled zucchini for a few minutes with lemon juice, then add a bit of sugar and cinnamon. Really hard to tell the difference in baked goods.

Yppej
    Raw I would dip in something healthy like guacamole or shred and add to a salad. Steamed I am not a big fan of plain, but with feta cheese and/or tomato sauce sprinkled over it I would like it. Sauteed is my favorite and there are a variety of healthy oils to choose from - olive, coconut, walnut, etc.

For lunch sometimes I take the Just brand of baby food, like Just Butternut Squash. The vegetables are cooked without any additives as the name implies and easy to fit into a lunchbox.

Thread Information