Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetable experiment

Check out "nutritarian" recipes - lots of greens, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans. I could eat salads made of those things every day - especially with a good dressing. Breakfast in that vein might be smashed avocado on sprouted grain toast.

Well I never know how extreme the diet that anyone is trying to stick to is. I eat salads, add veggies to homemade soups like lentil (beans are basically a veggie themselves btw)/salmon/and of course veggie soup/etc.. Many of my protein entries contain veggies (for example I make recipes with salmon cooked with chard or with spinach), I cook proteins like fish and chicken in tomato sauce or with peppers or onions (grains would also work for this treatment), if you cook up grains like rice you can add veggies (spanakorizo is on recipe). So I guess I'm more of the add veggies to everything philosophy which works for an ordinary diet (a more strict diet maybe not and if you think you need to be on one then do that). Still I could eat more veggies.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Also you can get noodles now made out of vegetables including zucchini. Zucchini latkes are also great and you can buy them readymade if you're not interested in making them from scratch.

I appreciate the words of encouragement and the suggestions.

My parents' health started falling apart in their late 30s. I don't want that fate!

I eat raw celery with PB & raisins. I also eat raw bell peppers, raw radishes, and sometimes raw carrots. I steam broccoli and cauliflower. I saute asparagus though.

I have also started eating small salads of romaine lettuce mostly. It is okay with some lemon juice, olive oil, Italian spices, and salt (coarse Kosher) and pepper (freshly ground).

It's a challenge to up your veggie consumption, but my favorite way is to make soups. I know that sounds daunting, but if you can add one more thing to your list of possessions and get a crockpot, it's so easy to throw in onions, celery, carrots, lentils, beans, and nice herbs and even some nice andouille sausage if you want a little meat, and set it on low. You come home and voila! A bowl full of vegetarian goodness!

Making soups is my favorite. In fact I'm having soup tonight for dinner.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I have also started eating small salads of romaine lettuce mostly. It is okay with some lemon juice, olive oil, Italian spices, and salt (coarse Kosher) and pepper (freshly ground).
    That is what I eat almost every day for lunch. My salads are made of romaine, tomatoes, olives, and goat cheese crumbles with olive oil, mint, coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. A bit of lemon or vinegar is good, but I've found I'm really content with just the olive oil.
    The salad spinner is my ultimate tool to healthy lunches. I prep lettuce on Sunday for the week, and the prepped lettuce lives in the spinner in the fridge (I learned this from Tiam on the Forum and it was life-changing). This is my perfect happy lunch and I enjoy every bite.

The thing that annoys me is that we can't have kitchen knives at work. I want to be able to slice up my bell pepper right before eating it. Otherwise it gets a little slimy and wilted.

Yppej
    Can you keep the knife in your car and run out at lunchtime, or do you not drive to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Can you keep the knife in your car and run out at lunchtime, or do you not drive to work?
    I started hoofing it to work again. That is an interesting idea though...

I wonder if there are any plastic knives that could do it...

Thread Information