Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegetable experiment

Another veggie I have become addicted to is Trader Joe's arugula. I add it to scrambled eggs along with green onions and mushrooms. It goes in every salad too. Just love the peppery taste of it.

Oh yes, arugula makes anything exciting. It's great on pizza too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I started hoofing it to work again. That is an interesting idea though...

I wonder if there are any plastic knives that could do it...
    How do they know if you have a kitchen knife? Is a pen knife OK? There are kitchen knives made of ceramic; I don't know if there's enough metal in them to trip a metal detector but they probably would not pass a visual inspection.

As for vegetable intake, being on a low-carb/high-fat diet complicates my vegetable consumption. But it works, primarily with leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, choys, etc.).

I eat a salad almost every day. It's easy (and simple!) to buy a bag of salad greens and add a protein of choice to them. I prefer to buy mesclun/spring mix over just plain romaine or (ecchh) iceberg; more variety and more nutrition. And, when eating out, almost any place can accommodate a salad. Many ethnic restaurants specialize in vegetable dishes, so maybe cooking food from different regions will help.

As for working vegetables into an eating plan, some of my tricks include adding them to soup (even a canned soup or bowl of ramen; shredded cabbage can act sort of like noodles if you're not supposed to eat noodles), eating them raw with dips, making them a bed underneath something else, and adding them to omelets/scrambled eggs. If you have the latitude to eat beans and legumes, hummus is a possibility, beans in chili/salads/soups work well (or mash them into a paste for a dip or sandwich spread), and even roasting or dehydrating them makes a fun pop-in-the-mouth snack.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Another veggie I have become addicted to is Trader Joe's arugula. I add it to scrambled eggs along with green onions and mushrooms. It goes in every salad too. Just love the peppery taste of it.
    I used to grow lots of arugula at the community garden in Phoenix. I could not get past the taste... I admire people who like it because it is reputedly quite healthful!

Where do you work, as I thought I remembered it as a school? If it was a school, don't they have a cafeteria, where knives are?
    Also, eat your oranges, so you avoid scurvy.

Dip for your veggies? one large container sour cream + 1 pkg Fiesta Ranch dressing mix = yum, yum and it makes quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Where do you work, as I thought I remembered it as a school? If it was a school, don't they have a cafeteria, where knives are?
    Also, eat your oranges, so you avoid scurvy.
    I do eat oranges. I kind of like citrus these days. I take a multivitamin too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    Dip for your veggies? one large container sour cream + 1 pkg Fiesta Ranch dressing mix = yum, yum and it makes quite a bit.
    Sounds yummy, but probably not too good for my waistline. haha

0 fat Greek yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    0 fat Greek yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream
    Solid tip. Thanks.

I have just been eating the veggies in the morning while I have willpower still. Front loading like this seems to keep me on the veggie task!

Thread Information