Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: News fast.

Personally I can understand the desire to not watch news/opinion but still be willing to read news/opinion. I find that my annoyance factor only goes over the top with tv news. Written articles just aren't able to trigger me the way video is. My job moved to a new office about 6 months ago and we now 1) don't have assigned cubes/offices and 2) have giant tv's on the walls all over the place tuned to CNN and MSNBC all day (with the volume turned down but closed captioning on). I can't focus on my work if any of the screens are in view so I choose my daily workspace accordingly.

I also remember reading in the months/years after 9/11 that research was showing that people who obsessively watched tv news after the attack were at a higher likelihood of exhibiting PTSD type symptoms than were people who mainly got their news from other sources. I didn't own a tv at that time so I didn't see more than little bits and pieces of tv reporting.

I despise the 24 hour news...foolishly I thought it would give news people time to delve into stories, find different stories but instead it's all noise. A further complaint is tv in every doctor's office waiting room, car service waiting room. It's everywhere and all I can think of is the scene in Farenheit 451 where media was blasting constantly...We're there!

Taking care of yourself and your depression should be job one. Do you really expect to come here for medical advice? (this would qualify as mental health I believe)

I will go through phases. Recently, work has been taking up enough time that I have missed the news. I missed a story about the first murder in my county, where a friend, who isn't a LEO, was the first one on scene and had one of the parties, die in his arms. That one was awkward when they needed to let off steam.
    Other then that, news is a business. Freedom of the press, means you have freedom if you own the press. Everyone does have biases and the news realized the more they can drive things, the more they sell, then they charge advertisers more, and the cycle continues.

One of my son's suffers depression and I notice there is no news in his life. If I bring up an event he says something like "how's that affect you".

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I despise the 24 hour news...foolishly I thought it would give news people time to delve into stories, find different stories but instead it's all noise. A further complaint is tv in every doctor's office waiting room, car service waiting room. It's everywhere and all I can think of is the scene in Farenheit 451 where media was blasting constantly...We're there!
    The only reason I can see for 24 hr news stations is for those who have long or erratic work schedules. My husband, for example, leaves for work at 5:30 AM and gets home at 7:00-ish PM and goes to bed at 10:00 PM. His opportunity to watch TV news is limited.

Thread Information