Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA court rules against privy for Amish

PA court rules against privy for Amish

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/2018/0...ew/1013116001/

Thoughts? I think another example of too much government intrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    http://www.ydr.com/story/news/2018/0...ew/1013116001/

Thoughts? I think another example of too much government intrusion.
    That stinks.

Williamsmith
    I live among the Amish. They are no different than anyone else....no more or less pious. The suggestion that they could be exempt from sewage connection but an “Englishman” can’t is the very definition of predjudice. The Amish have no problem riding motor vehicles, using your electricity while on construction sites, etc. They could install a composting toilet inside instead of digging a hole in the ground but they are frugal to a fault.

Simple solution, sell a strip of land that abuts the sewer line to someone in the clan. There, property no longer abuts sewer line. BTW, Warren County is about as rural as it gets.

Yppej
    "Used electricity ... through phones." When I had a landline it worked even when the power was out.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I live among the Amish. They are no different than anyone else....no more or less pious. The suggestion that they could be exempt from sewage connection but an “Englishman” can’t is the very definition of predjudice. The Amish have no problem riding motor vehicles, using your electricity while on construction sites, etc. They could install a composting toilet inside instead of digging a hole in the ground but they are frugal to a fault.

Simple solution, sell a strip of land that abuts the sewer line to someone in the clan. There, property no longer abuts sewer line. BTW, Warren County is about as rural as it gets.
    That solution would only work, until something was built there, and then they now would abut the sewer line again.
    I expect this case isn't done as I expect to see someone file a further appeal to take it to the Supreme court (freedom of religion verses general welfare type of case), in the way cases happen when religion and kids get involved.
    The Mennonites that are local, have no issue with electricity, as long as they generate it. I am not 100% sure that all Amish are the same, as I know there are differences between Mennonite sects. Could that also be an option besides a composting toilet?

The requirement to connect to sewer or water mains as they are extended to your property is quite common in the USA, and is generally done to resolve the freeloader/tragedy-of-the-commons issue.

There are certainly other solutions available to this Amish family to process their waste (any number of modern septic designs would do, and they are quite common in my community. Some require power, not all. Some produce useful compost material even.)

Basing their argument to not connect on the electricity usage seems weak sauce to me. And there are designs that would avoid even that (here one hamlet’s system has the pumps for such things owned by the sewer company...)

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    "Used electricity ... through phones." When I had a landline it worked even when the power was out.
    Landlines have electricity on them.

What are the other options besides a composting toilet? Dehydrator requires electricity.

When in town, whatever sect of the Mennonite or Amish will use the store toilets, the store refrigeration used to protect food purchased, the lights to shop, ... and all such amenities which are all powered by electricity. One cannot be selective just when it costs money. It is a non-story to me.

My dad was always amused by the local Mennonites who drove their buggies to our farm to ask for a ride to town that was further than a horse and buggy could easily drive and return in one day. Selective observation yet again. He always took them but...
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I used to live among the Amish. You have to have some understanding of why they do the things they do before you go down the “selective observation” line of accusation.

Sort of like how it might be helpful to study the Talmud before calling out Orthodox Jews for some aspect of their culture that you don’t understand.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    What are the other options besides a composting toilet? Dehydrator requires electricity.
    There are plenty of gravity-fed no-electricity-needed septic system designs available.

Here’s the most boring sort: http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/health/...df/Gravity.pdf

Thread Information