Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting caffeine

I've laid off caffeine a few times, had mild headaches for a few days, felt semi-comatose...But on reflection, I see no reason to stop drinking it, so I have my 2-cup equivalent every morning and get on with things.

Yppej
    My doctor told me for my second annual physical in a row I should cut back. I am having less insomnia also. But I am more tempted by sugar to get my buzz.

Yppej
    Winter which is depressing me is winding down (though ill advised covid restrictions are not - my state will probably be the last to return to normalcy if it ever does) and we are past the time change where we lose an hour's sleep so I am going to try weaning myself off caffeine again. Does anyone care to join me in this challenge?

I did it by year's end but then relapsed.

Today I bought green cola so-called as it is made from green coffee beans with one fifth the caffeine of black beans as my first transitional beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am going to try weaning myself off caffeine again. Does anyone care to join me in this challenge?
    No.

Seriously, my kids have told me that I'd head-butt them if they were in my way to the coffeemaker in the morning. It's a very pleasant addiction which some would have you believe comes with numerous health benefits.

Count me out on this one, Jeppy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    No.

Seriously, my kids have told me that I'd head-butt them if they were in my way to the coffeemaker in the morning. It's a very pleasant addiction which some would have you believe comes with numerous health benefits.

Count me out on this one, Jeppy.
    Oh hell no jep, I’m with Catherine. Caffeine is the LEAST of my consumption problems.

Fat, excess food, fatty excess food, some sugary fatty excess food, – not much alcohol at the moment though – those are my consumption sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My doctor told me for my second annual physical in a row I should cut back. I am having less insomnia also. But I am more tempted by sugar to get my buzz.
    I would never tell my doctor anything that would indicate coffee is a problem. Ha ha! But if she told me it’s a problem I would not pay any attention to that anyway.

Why is your doctor now talking to you about caffeine?

Since I retired I’m drinking 3 cups of coffee in the morning. It used to be two.

I was told to give up caffeine 15 years ago. My compromise is one cup in the morning and then decaf after that. I buy quality decaf so can’t tell the difference.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would never tell my doctor anything that would indicate coffee is a problem. Ha ha! But if she told me it’s a problem I would not pay any attention to that anyway.

Why is your doctor now talking to you about caffeine?

Since I retired I’m drinking 3 cups of coffee in the morning. It used to be two.
    I changed doctors and solved that problem, but since then was diagnosed by an eye doctor with central serous retinopathy and have read caffeine intake leads to that problem so I would like to get off it and see if that clears up the eye issue. I am a year overdue for followup but have not gone back to covid. Last time it took hours - wait in lobby, wait in exam room for physician's assistant, wait in another room for first eye test, wait in another room for second eye test, wait again in exam room for doctor, wait to check out. I just can't handle wearing a mask that long. And even if I get a vaccine my governor will force me to wear one. (Everything always comes back to masks, doesn't it?) So knowing I"m putting off my eye appointment hasn't motivated me to get off the caffeine.

TT/Jeppy, Did your doctors tell you why you should cut back on caffeine?

I don't drink coffee at night, so insomnia is not an issue. But I have read it reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes and liver problems.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    No she didn't Catherine. Possibly she had in mind osteoporosis given my age and that caffeine interferes with calcium absorption.

Thread Information