Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official part-time resident of the great state of Vermont!!!

Official part-time resident of the great state of Vermont!!!

We closed yesterday!

It doesn't seem quite real because we are not moving from one place to the other yet, but now begins the process of figuring out how to outfit the house, minimally and cheaply.

Looking for suggestions.

If you were living in a 700 square foot home with your SO, what would you bring? What would you eliminate? I've been researching minimal kitchens, for instance and found a great article on kitchen essentials by a New York City chef who has a teeny kitchen. Using her advice, I put on my Christmas wish list a set of magnetized spice jars to put on the refrigerator (DD got them for me!).

Any other suggestions?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    I'm thinking that's more than the size of a hotel room which has bed(s), dressers, often with table and chair(s), microwave, minifridge, closet area, TV and full bath.

What do you need at home that you don't need travelling?

Is there a shed or garage to keep things in that are specific to home ownership?

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I'm thinking that's more than the size of a hotel room which has bed(s), dressers, often with table and chair(s), microwave, minifridge, closet area, TV and full bath.

What do you need at home that you don't need travelling?

Is there a shed or garage to keep things in that are specific to home ownership?
    Funny you say that, because I've actually drawn floor plans of some hotel rooms I've been in, in preparation for my own "tiny house" living. Not only that, but I have experience living in a hotel for 3 months and being completely fine.

And, yes, there are 3 outbuildings I could store things in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Enough mirrors to make it feel like a 1400 square foot home.

And congratulations...Vermont is the most permissive state in the union regarding gun laws. You can carry a gun concealed or openly without a permit! And it doesn’t matter if you are a resident or non resident! The United States Constitution is your carry permit! And if that wasn’t good enough, no city or municipality can restrict firearms further. As an example, Burlington tried to ban assault rifles and high capacity magazines......NO CAN DO!

So if I were you, I’d get an AR 15 with a 30 round mag and a Glock 26 and excercise my second amendment right as often as possible. Being from New Jersey this no doubt will seem like you landed on Mars.

Im jealous.

Spend some time at IKEA. They are genius at storage ideas and small spaces. Love their room set ups to see how things are used. Prices are decent too.

Congratulations, Catherine! We have lived in less than 1000 SF for 33 years, so I'll try to think of whether we have any helpful hints.
    DH is a great cook and he thinks a lot of gadgets are unnecessary as long as one has a good set of knives.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Cool! I remember your posting at some time in the past about wanting to move to Vermont, Burlington I think it was (?) So nice to hear of your making this wish come true! I started out in life in the next state over - in a little town called Sandown, New Hampshire and one thing I can tell you is that you will love, love, love Autumn there when the leaves change, and if they still have roadside apple cider stands (this was in the 70's, I don't know if this is still done or not). At any rate, Congrats Catherine! Rob

Did I miss the post telling us the approximate time when you were listing your present house? Have fun exploring the options for your new location.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We havent closed on our weekend house yet and I suppose something could still go wrong, but I am proceeding as though everything will go through.

I am outfitting a MINIMAL house because we will be doing major construction over three year (my fantasy plan, not verified with DH) and I dont want to move in a lot of stuff, especially NEW stuff and get plaster dust all over it. So yeah, I am there with you.

I plan to outfit our kitchen with a set of pots and pans we already have, just got them for free. We will not have a dishwasher, so
    I am going to use our silverplate set that sits mostly unused. We have a hideous set of dishes DH brought to our marriage that has beem stored for 30 year so here is our opportunity to use them! I suspect many of them will be accidently broken by the time our new kitchen is ready, what a shame that will be.

Right now I do not plan to duplicate small appliances except for a toaster. unless it turns out that we acrually have house guests, we do not need a coffe maker. I will evaluate our need for a hand mixer, a crockpot, and a rice cooker.those are the small appliances we use most often. We have many others, seldom used.

Spices? We wont do serious cooking so no array of spices needed here.

Here is my plan for food: have a chest freezer in the basement and cook up freezer meals here at home and then transport them to our weekend house.

Several people here have cabins as a second home so they will have ideas.

Thread Information