Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official part-time resident of the great state of Vermont!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Congratulations.
    Before you acquire any electrical appliances or gadgets think about this. In 1925 only half of the homes in the US had power. All of our gadgets are a very recent phenomenon. Think about that for a bit

we spend about 30% of the year in an small RV and you have to get in your mind what you don’t really need.for instance, I would not acquire a coffeemaker strictly in case company came. Tell them you have tea. If they really want coffee they will figure it out. How many dishes do you really need? Glasses? Towels?

You can cook marvelous meals on a stovetop and in an oven, or on a grill. Also, think multi purpose. If you must have an end table in the bedroom, or a coffee table,get one that will function as storage. A tv can be mounted on a wall. A kitchen table can have fold down leafs. For me a comfortable bed is #1. A table with good wooden straight chairs, and a few comfy chairs to sit and read would be my priority to acquire in that order.
    Thanks, flowers everywhere. Great ideas. As for the coffee, I think I'll be leaving behind my beloved Cuisinart grinder-and drip-coffeemaker-in-one. It's a bit of a behemoth. I was thinking French press or just one of those cones that you put a filter in and drip the coffee yourself. Or gift myself an electric pot similar to the one I gave my DD for Christmas. It has a thermostat on it and you can choose the right temperature for coffee, black tea, or green tea (which requires a lower brew temp).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Congrats Catherine! I think one thing that is very important for a small house is to have places to put things away and not out in view or on counters. In a small house it's easy to look cluttered.

Personally I'd rethink the spices on the frig. Not just for the clutter reason but also light breaks then down quicker.

I second the idea of flexible Ikea furniture that can fold up when not in use.
    Thanks herbgeek! You have a good point on the spice jars. The refrigerator is actually located in the pantry, so I'm hoping it will be darker there, and the jars are actually stainless.

Mschrisgo2, jp1, pinkytoe, FloatOn, sweeten: thanks for sharing your experience, and support! I really am looking forward downsizing!

IL: this is fun that we are sharing our second-home moving adventures! We're going to have to swap photos and ideas along the way!

Rob, UL, and rosa: thank you so much for your well-wishes. It is truly a beautiful area of the country!

razz--we are going to wait out the summer. Call it hedging our bets, or simply being too overwhelmed psychologically to tackle getting rid of the contents of 30 years in one place right away. One step at a time. DH and I are committed to just letting dust settle and exploring our adventure first.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Funny. My son, on one of his many moves here and there, in which he'd dump stuff in our garage on the way, left this IKEA table. We've been bemoaning the fact that it has taken space up in the garage and we were going to get rid of it, but whew! One instance in which NOT getting rid of something probably paid off. This is a fantastic gate leg table that will be so functional, and I LOVE the 8 little drawers it has.

And I had NO idea, until I googled it to show you the link, that it's worth almost $1k!!! And to think I almost curbed it for the garbageman!
    Gateleg tables are the BEST! I was looking around for one and also “discovered” one in our basment. I had forgotten about it, and it has sentimental value for reasons I wont go into. It had been holding junk, but now it will be kitchen table. It doesnt have drawers, though.

Don't forget to put on your calendar: SnowFarm Vineyard has weekly free concerts! And Blue Paddle Bistro has some really yummy food.

Congratulations on being a Vermonter!!! How cool.
    And great find on the gateleg table, btw.
    I bet you can get many things up there for the house. It has a woodstove, right?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Congratulations.
    Before you acquire any electrical appliances or gadgets think about this. In 1925 only half of the homes in the US had power. All of our gadgets are a very recent phenomenon. Think about that for a bit

we spend about 30% of the year in an small RV and you have to get in your mind what you don’t really need.for instance, I would not acquire a coffeemaker strictly in case company came. Tell them you have tea. If they really want coffee they will figure it out. How many dishes do you really need? Glasses? Towels?

You can cook marvelous meals on a stovetop and in an oven, or on a grill. Also, think multi purpose. If you must have an end table in the bedroom, or a coffee table,get one that will function as storage. A tv can be mounted on a wall. A kitchen table can have fold down leafs. For me a comfortable bed is #1. A table with good wooden straight chairs, and a few comfy chairs to sit and read would be my priority to acquire in that order.
    Wall mounted tv is essential in a small space,
    I would think. Good idea!

As for furniture, I am collecting 6 seats that are upholstered. Doesnt have to include a sofa, but it might. I already have two and need 4 more. I want free or thrfit store stuff but have been worried about bedbugs in thrift store items. But last night we stopped at Goodwill and saw three sets of chairs that looked nice and were clean, but I would want to examine closer for bedbug activity. The furniture at St. Vincent De Paul thrift store has been awful.

Anyway, at this moment we plan to use plastic lawn furntiture as a main table and chairs until the right free thing comes along, which it will soon. There is a constant stream of free stuff around here, and we have many friends empyting out their houses over the next 12 months so more will come.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-11-18 at 10:15am.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Congratulations on being a Vermonter!!! How cool.
    And great find on the gateleg table, btw.
    I bet you can get many things up there for the house. It has a woodstove, right?
    Thanks, Tybee! Yes, it has a woodstove. And I definitely plan on holding off on buying stuff until I get there. (besides the very cheap curtains I got from Country Curtains during their liquidation sale). One of the things I love about my NJ house is the fact it's a collection of "finds" and I hope the same will be true for this house. Already my realtor is giving me a daybed for my guest room/office--which has a pop-up trundle.

In my mind the priorities will be: sofa, dining chairs, office desk and chair. Those things must be in place before we move in. I'm hoping to find used bentwood chairs, and maybe painting them a sage green or red. Or maybe a couple of each color.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Enough mirrors to make it feel like a 1400 square foot home.

And congratulations...Vermont is the most permissive state in the union regarding gun laws. You can carry a gun concealed or openly without a permit! And it doesn’t matter if you are a resident or non resident! The United States Constitution is your carry permit! And if that wasn’t good enough, no city or municipality can restrict firearms further. As an example, Burlington tried to ban assault rifles and high capacity magazines......NO CAN DO!

So if I were you, I’d get an AR 15 with a 30 round mag and a Glock 26 and excercise my second amendment right as often as possible. Being from New Jersey this no doubt will seem like you landed on Mars.

Im jealous.
    WOW... That is all I can say about this post!!!!!! Not good.
    Last edited by frugal-one; 1-11-18 at 11:25am.

About the coffee maker and guests, I mean overnight guests. Hermann, MO where we are moving is a tourist town and perhaps people will come and stay with us for a festival weekend.

and here is one of the coolest things about Hermann and St. Louis—there is a daily train from STL to Hermann. I can walk to the STL Train station from my house, ride 1.5 hours (exactly how long it takes to drive) and step out of the train onto the main street of Hermann. This is MIRACULOUS in flyover country! I could theoretically walk from the Hermann train stop to our new house and I HAvE actually walked that distance, about 1.5. miles. But if we have guests who take the train we would pick them up in Hermann train stop. Notice here is no “station” just a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

and here is one of the coolest things about Hermann and St. Louis—there is a daily train from STL to Hermann. I can walk to the STL Train station from my house, ride 1.5 hours (exactly how long it takes to drive) and step out of the train onto the main street of Hermann. This is MIRACULOUS in flyover country! I could theoretically walk from the Hermann train stop to our new house and I HAvE actually walked that distance, about 1.5. miles. But if we have guests who take the train we would pick them up in Hermann train stop. Notice here is no “station” just a stop.
    Wow!!! That's fantastic! I LOVE towns where you can walk to the train!

Thread Information