Thread: INOA

Yppej

INOA (Innovation No Ammonia)

I went to my usual Supercuts the other day and for the first time they had me sign some release. I soon found out why. Usually every other time they pull the color through to the ends the last 15 minutes because even though it is permanent it can fade. Instead without any warning the stylist started spraying ammonia on my ends, stating it was a better way to open up the hair shaft. I asked isn't ammonia like bleach, a lightener when I am trying to get my hair darker? She said it's not bleach, but it smelled pretty bad. I said note my card that I don't want this again, but I don't know that I even want to go back there. My hair does not look as dark as I would like. She said she would redo the color if I wanted but I did not have another 2 hours to spare.

It's better for her to just spray something than to take the time to mix up and paint on the color, but it's not better for me.

So I started reading up on hair color at home, and pretty much all dyes have ammonia in them. There is only one reputable ammonia and MEA free permanent color product, INOA by L'Oreal. It does not roughen and damage the hair either.

Has anyone tried this? Did you notice a difference?

I would pay the higher price to avoid the chemical exposure but all the salons offering it in my state are an hour plus drive into the big city, at least some if not all without complimentary parking, whereas Supercuts is less than 10 minutes from my house.
    Last edited by Yppej; 1-10-18 at 8:43pm.

If you want to darken your hair I 'd look into Robert Craig on line. I've been using it for years to cover gray. It's a "deposit" color so it cannot lighten your hair, but I've been using it to cover my gray- dark blond and I am please with it. No smell, it's a powder you mix with water, shake, apply, let sit (45 minutes for me) rinse and done. The only disadvantage is that once you use it you cannot go back to the other kind because it won't take or will do something odd.

Yppej
    I found some reviews online where people report it doesn't cover their grays, so I think I will pass, especially since I then can't go back to a type that I know will, but I'm glad it works for you. It is a big cost savings.

I know there are semi permanent colors that do not contain ammonia, because it says so on the box. My lungs react to ammonia, so I guess I won't set foot in a supercuts now.
    I have had good luck with henna colors; you can get them at Amazon or at your local health food store.

I use Clairol Natural Instincts, which has no ammonia. It's widely available - drugstores, Target. There is very little odor. The color only lasts about a month, but my roots start coming in by then anyhow.

I find it a lot easier to get even color when I have a helping hand (dd usually.)

I'm going with lighter and lighter colors, hoping to get to an ivory shade eventually, but my back hair is still very red (my natural color.) So it's streaky sandy blond ginger now, that's okay.

I tried a permanent color but was sickened by the odor and it burned my scalp, too. Had to run outdoors in the snow to get away from the stink!

For a long time I used JF Lazartigue color reflecting conditioner, which is fantastic if you don't have a lot of grey. Smells good and leaves your hair super silky. It's cheaper per use than drugstore color, too.

Yppej
    Certain parts of my head I am half gray now and I would go natural were it not for age discrimination in the workplace. As it is I will probably have to stay where I am, it's hard to look while working, though I have been corresponding with a couple of recruiters. The mean girl clique is getting nastier. Another woman in my group told HR yesterday she wants a transfer to any other department, she cannot take it anymore. But that is another topic.

Gardenian, how often do you shampoo?

I only shampoo one or twice a week. But when I shampoo more often (in summer I swim most days) the color seems to last the same amount of time.

I have to leave it on for the longest recommended time (20 minutes) to get good coverage of grays.

Yppej
    Thanks. If I can find a helping hand I will try it.

Thread Information