Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Homeless shelters

Williamsmith
    As some may know, I visited my son in Houston, Tx recently. He is restoring his house after Harvey. We took a little tour of Houston City proper. His wife is employed at Minutemaid Park where the Astros play. We walked around the inside of that facility and the field. What an unbelievable venue, completely enclosed from the weather, air conditioned for most of the year. The best of the best for consumers.

Right outside in the the parking area under an interstate overpass was a homeless village. Most had camping tents, some did not. All that they owned was laying on the ground. There were literally hundreds in this makeshift community. There were a few police officers milling around. I wondered if they were checking for wanted persons, mental health commitments or simply scooping up the dead from the night before. I can’t imagine living like that.

It ismone thing to see someone standing standing on a corner with a cardboard sign begging.....quite another to see the vast community of apparently wasting lives.

Williamsmith, I agree...we had a 2 year camp here in our town unknown to most till it was a fight by the land owners and behind Kohls. When it started making the news and pictures the uproar started. It was private land that owners had turned heads to till it got much bigger, dirtier and the begging started. Interviewing many the response was "this is home, just like yours" or "I choose this life", "I don't want to be in a shelter""I have Soc Sec payments" there was not one that said how they would rather be somewhere else. That was the sad part. Homeless shelter and support being offered and No Thanks were the responses. As I read not one took the offers. Then the dozers arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    For many years the YMCAs would offer these Single Room Occupancy/"SRO" rooms. Many were like tiny efficiency apts. but with bathrooms down the hall and laundry elsewhere. Unfortunately they decided that was no longer part of their "core mission" and so most Ys have abandoned those.

I agree there's a need for these SROs but they won't be rebuilt in the gentrifying urban core. It's too bad there's not some way to re-use some of the large empty commercial spaces for some of these types of residences, and keep it safe by keeping some rooms for on-site managers.
    Our Y as we found out in the paper opens the showers for the homeless and the entrance sitting area. OK sounds wonderful and thoughtful, till being a full pay member and I would not use the showers and as I was on the machines and saw the men or in the parking lot. I did not feel real safe and it felt dirty, sorry but that is how it is, I don't pay to put myself in a situation that I am uncomfortable in. This is a very old Y. Our new Y is being built out side the city about 5 miles on the new hospital campus(other hospital mentioned will be women shelter) We all assume the old Y will be a shelter of some sorts.

SO I have re thought my thinking on homeless shelter. Personal experience so to say. I am still at a loss on the correct answer.

My son is on disability. He wants to get his own place and will someday I know this. He is fortunate that he has a supportive family, that is the bottom line. He went to the apartment complex here in town that is based on income. He was told 6 year wait for a unit if based on disability income. That is the going time frame in the county.

I said well there you have it that is one big reason for our large population of homeless in the area, they may have support but no place to live due to the wait. Most probably do not have family support or the family does not have any support left to give.

Wow, if you need a place to live, a 6-year waiting list is no help.

Seems like a lot of people these days are renting rooms within a single family house.

I really do not understand why say the old buildings downtown have to have so much done to them to upgrade to today's standards so the homeless can rent rooms. A room with a bath on each floor seems like a far better option then the street. One old building in town I read is 3 floors of little rooms as during the 1900 era that was all travelers needed to sleep at night. Nope it would a Million dollars to bring to code. SO the buildings rot.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I really do not understand why say the old buildings downtown have to have so much done to them to upgrade to today's standards so the homeless can rent rooms. A room with a bath on each floor seems like a far better option then the street. One old building in town I read is 3 floors of little rooms as during the 1900 era that was all travelers needed to sleep at night. Nope it would a Million dollars to bring to code. SO the buildings rot.
    They just gave notice to a former motel/now extended stay. The new owner #1 wasn't paying his bills but #2 the city gave notice because codes weren't up to snuff. Example. Basic electric can handle normal motel traffic but can't handle every room having a small fridge, microwave, hotplates, etc. Fire exits not kept clear or equipment kept in maintenance. Occupancy overload, etc. It's sad. Salvation Army has stepped in to help relocate families.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Our city and some of its townships are working on trying to close some run down motels and similar establishments. Reason: unacceptable level of constant police and fire calls to these properties. One of Walmart's stores was going to be sued for the same thing. It got even worse when there was a fatal shooting in the parking lot and this was just the last straw. Note: Walmart was really embarrassed and took steps to seriously up their security. Making the newspapers for such activity can really reduce your customers.

Consequence: could be that a large amount of cheap housing will be lost. The poor or suddenly poor have counted on these for some housing.

Many of our weekly motels downtown have been torn down which has really hurt our homeless population. Also many of these were not that safe and police had to be called a lot. Rents in NV have skyrocketed and even people with jobs can no longer afford rent. It is a huge problem. In place of the motels they are building expensive apartments, condo, retail, etc. People from CA are moving in because it is too costly for the average Nevadan. While downtown looks much nicer I really feel for people that can't afford the rents and the homeless.

Thread Information