As some may know, I visited my son in Houston, Tx recently. He is restoring his house after Harvey. We took a little tour of Houston City proper. His wife is employed at Minutemaid Park where the Astros play. We walked around the inside of that facility and the field. What an unbelievable venue, completely enclosed from the weather, air conditioned for most of the year. The best of the best for consumers.

Right outside in the the parking area under an interstate overpass was a homeless village. Most had camping tents, some did not. All that they owned was laying on the ground. There were literally hundreds in this makeshift community. There were a few police officers milling around. I wondered if they were checking for wanted persons, mental health commitments or simply scooping up the dead from the night before. I can’t imagine living like that.

It ismone thing to see someone standing standing on a corner with a cardboard sign begging.....quite another to see the vast community of apparently wasting lives.