Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Homeless shelters

My brother teeters on homelessness all the time. Thanks to a brief stint in the service the VA has kept him off the streets (he was given a medical discharge due to his alcoholism 40 years ago, but that's still considered an "honorable" discharge, which drives my husband, who served 2 years in the Marines in the 70s, absolutely crazy).

He had burned ALL of his bridges with the VA, and I researched homeless shelters in his area. There was one run by Catholic Charities which had an enclosed, fenced in lot with tents (it's in Florida, so no cold-weather issues). He was just about to do the intake for that place when he wound up back in the VA for a medical issue (detox), and the day he thought he would be discharged back onto the streets, a VA social worker offered him a 28-day program again. She told him: "Our mission is to get every homeless veteran off the streets."

So as the sister of a person with multiple chronic psychological issues, it is truly a difficult dilemma. When I interviewed Indian psychiatrists for a market research project he said there are are no homeless in India because the families and communities take them in. They consider it their duty. But there's no way I would invite my brother to live with me, and I consider myself a bleeding heart. We did it once, and it was not easy. My DH literally picked him up physically and threw him out after a week, because of his drunken behavior, his arrogance, and his insults (talk about biting that hand that feeds you).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, dont believe that story about India. It is just like the stories they tell of the huge increases in literacy or any other program. https://www.hindustantimes.com/edito...brts88GnK.html

Thread Information