Thread: Have you noticed this?

Have you noticed this?

I keep hearing Trump being referred to as Mr Trump vs President Trump in many instances. I don't recall this with other presidents. What to make of it?

I heard this a lot with the last President, by Republicans who wanted to be disrespectful.

Kind of like the way RWNJ web site comment boards used to be filled with Barry Soetoro references and some people on the left currently are fond of using the original trump family name of Drumpf. The other thing that went through a phase with trump was calling him 45 instead of actually calling him by his name. Personally I've gotten over the shock and horror that 46% of the population actually wanted the jerk to be president so I'm fine with calling him President Trump. Hopefully our republic will survive long enough that he can be one of those interesting historical periods that high school civics class students study with a fair amount of boredom.* Although if the history books include information about him calling various countries s***holes during a discussion about immigration perhaps the future civics students will actually be interested in the assigned reading.

*I'm fine with their future boredom since it would mean that we survived this debacle intact.

They called Obama Mr. Obama, too- CBS news so I googled and apparently it is appropriate after they've used President Obama in the first line ....then Mr. is OK. I felt it was disrespectful.

I understand the founders chose the title "president" as the least grand term possible. As one said, they weren't interested in crowning George IV. I think our elites often try too hard to assign themselves the trappings of aristocracy or even royalty. Calling someone by the title of an office they no longer hold. Hanging the president's or governor's picture in federal and state offices. What is the Presidential Medal of Freedom if not an American Knighthood? Barbara Boxer getting bent out of shape when someone addressed her as "Ma'am" instead of "Senator".

Me, I'm happy to live in a country where we're less than reverential toward the political class.

Williamsmith
    I prefer the anti federalist view of say, Patrick Henry. After all, if they had left it up to the Federalists we probably would not have had a Bill of Rights that sought to specifically limit central government and infuse a dose of humility into the royalty of say President Washington or worse.....Alexander Hamilton. So yeah, I’d be fine with just referring to him as ....”Hey Don”.

You made me smile WS.

Thread Information