Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Has the News Changed Your Daily Life?

Yppej

How Has the News Changed Your Daily Life?

I used to use tap water for boiling food, but ever since the Flint water crisis I use bottled water.

How has the news influenced your daily actions?

I have a good though not the best supply of long shelf life foods and water stored, need more.

For a while I was writing and calling my congressional representatives - until it became clear that one was doing just fine without me, one was never going to respond in any way, and one was going to continue to send me form letters that clearly indicated he had heard/read nothing I had to say. (Ie me:“please don’t set fires.” response: “thank you for your concern about fires. My goal is to serve you. Be assured I am setting them as fast as I can.”)

mostly the news news just frustrates me. I’m teaching a class about agriculture. In a normal world I would have my students listen to the president’s speech to the American farm bureau and discuss it. I watched the speech and realized I can’t do that.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    For a while I was writing and calling my congressional representatives - until it became clear that one was doing just fine without me, one was never going to respond in any way, and one was going to continue to send me form letters that clearly indicated he had heard/read nothing I had to say. (Ie me:“please don’t set fires.” response: “thank you for your concern about fires. My goal is to serve you. Be assured I am setting them as fast as I can.”)

mostly the news news just frustrates me. I’m teaching a class about agriculture. In a normal world I would have my students listen to the president’s speech to the American farm bureau and discuss it. I watched the speech and realized I can’t do that.
    What about the speech led you to that conclusion?

There are parts of it that are off topic in ways that my students are not mature enough to handle well. Too much class time and energy would end up focused on redirecting them to the pertinate parts and reminding them of the nature of civil debate. A situation which reflects current news coverage and the behavior of their elders.

so, actually I COULD do that, but only if I was willing to focus the class more on civics and debate and less on the agriculture part. The point of my class is not “what do you think about these policies?” It’s “what effect do you think these policies are likely to have and what behavioral responses are likely/reasonable for farmers”

ie, we don’t argue about crop subsidies, we look at the effect they have on price and acreage planted.

I upped my efforts to move to a place with less exposure to political fallout, i.e., nuclear war, riots. New Jersey is a probable candidate for Ground Zero in either an international or domestic attack.

This may sound drastic, but it was one of the factors in my decision to move this year.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    ... (Ie me:“please don’t set fires.” response: “thank you for your concern about fires. My goal is to serve you. Be assured I am setting them as fast as I can.”)
    Can definitely relate. But with our senators McCain and Flake both out of the picture soon, we might get a chance at normalcy here in AZ.

Although I do think it's an example of how politicians in particular can easily live in a bubble and only hear the feedback from their satisfied constituents. Or maybe their campaign donors are the only constituents they need to satisfy, hard to tell sometimes. Discouraging for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I upped my efforts to move to a place with less exposure to political fallout, i.e., nuclear war, riots. New Jersey is a probable candidate for Ground Zero in either an international or domestic attack.

This may sound drastic, but it was one of the factors in my decision to move this year.
    Can relate to this too. My SO has property in rural PA. That's an area that I've had in the back of my mind as far as a possible re-location if the heat and drought situation here in the Southwest escalates beyond normal livability - maybe 1 or 2 more generations? There's already a small basic cabin and larger barn on it, so it would be doable.

I haven't been driven to doomsday prepping by the news. But I will change my route when they warn me about traffic jams.

Pretty much turned it off. I feel better.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information