Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Has the News Changed Your Daily Life?

Williamsmith, I don’t know your age, but did you know a Dr. Clinch?

Williamsmith
    I was there from 1977-1979......my advisor taught apiculture. I took the beekeeping class but I regret to say my memory of my time there is more than a bit foggy. I do not recall Dr. Clinch.

He was long gone. My husband’s grandfather. Also cows.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

"Despite the multitudinous derisive references to the supposed quote that continue to be proffered even today, former U.S. vice president
    Al Gore never claimed that he “invented” the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way.
    "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." ~ Al Gore, 1999

I think Snopes is splitting hairs on this one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    I’m sorry, did I say “invented”? No, but if I had said anything it would have been “created” like Al did. And I do agree with Snopes.....I have always found Al Gore to be “relatively credible”. A tip of my tinfoil hat to you Razz. Keep the faith.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    He was long gone. My husband’s grandfather. Also cows.
    Im sure he was an interesting and a fine man!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I was an Agriculture major at Penn State and I must say that because of federal policies and subsidies...politics and agriculture are branches of the same tree. ...I wish young people could be convinced that a small farm is a viable vocational pursuit and that chasing the large agribusiness is fraught with too many worries and concerns.
    I have hope. I personally see more young people, at least in my circles, interested in farming. My CSA/Permaculture/Wellness Center that I've been a part of for 4 years was created by a handful of really bright young Rutgers grads. One of my pet causes is NOFA, which supports the training of young farmers. I agree with Williamsmith that the more we can "grow" the small young farmer, the better off we'll all be.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Small time thinking! Only worried about what affects you now and directly! Unfortunately, there are many others like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Isn’t it really the over abundance of “information” which drives you to frustration, never mind sorting out the validity of it. I prefer to sit at the local breakfast joint and discuss the reasons why the County Fair lost money last year than to fret about the last wolf roaming WI. Not that it isn’t a concern.....it is just I can’t possibly process all concerns. We must be reasonable in our consumption of all things.....including news.
    You both are of the same mind. If everyone thought like this nothing would ever get done.

I do actually read my local weekly paper, and I would say my news consumption aligns with the ideas in this recent post on Get Rich Slowly about Circle of Concern vs. Circle of Control. I am primarily concerned with matter that affect me and that I might reasonably be able to control or impact. I hear a lot of people expressing great angst about what is going on in the world, but not necessarily taking any action, so what is the point?

http://www.getrichslowly.org/2018/01...ing-proactive/

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    How has the news influenced your daily actions?
    The news not at all but weather forecasts may determine if I go to town or not.

Thread Information