Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Life 50 years ago.. for better or worse

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Nice, life was much simple back then, and much nicer too as I recall.
    Apart from the riots, the war and the burning cities 1968 was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Apart from the riots, the war and the burning cities 1968 was OK.
    Don't bogart my memories man, 68 was groovy!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't remember 1968. Or was that 1967? '69 was the Mets; that was real!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I don't remember 1968. Or was that 1967? '69 was the Mets; that was real!
    The Miracle Mets! A much more important event than the lunar landing.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The Miracle Mets! A much more important event than the lunar landing.
    RIP Marvelous Marv Throneberry. That was the gold old days.

Revisiting post:

1968 Tigers. I am not baseball fan, but that summer being 7 years old is forever in my memory with happy thoughts Dad and neighbor Al sitting outside in the summer evenings listening to the radio with the Tiger game on. My best friend Juile (Al's daughter) and I playing in the cut grass. If there is one memory that sticks out in my mind from childhood it is that!

50 years ago I was in Upstate New York and the Yankees had won their second world series. Talk about miracles they made an amazing comeback after being 14 games back in July of 1978.
    Life Lessons From The Pennsylvania Dutchhttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/804572

Oops my math is wrong, in 1968 I was in North Jersey it was one year before the amazing Mets. I was in elementary school, and I remember we used to take trips to Shea stadium to see the Mets and the New York Jets football team.
    Life Lessons From The Pennsylvania Dutchhttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/804572

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I find this topic very interesting. !968? I was two years old so I don't remember it. But what a time it must have been for someone like me - so much activism, so much protesting, easy access to a new life in Canada if you wanted such.....on the one hand, no computer software to track your work performance - on the other hand, no social media to aid lower income individuals in flattening injustice and exposing the truths of a given citizenship to the world.

No Internet, no smartphones, no apps - coupled with a slower pace of life and more acceptance of those for whom conforming to society doesn't work - almost an expectation of activism if you were of a certain age. Health care not a nightmare to access for most people and less of a need to flee the country to afford to see a dentist. Did databases that relentlessly store information about you even exist then?

Honestly? I'd go back to that time if I could - though I realize I'd have to give a few things I cherish up, such as the amazing progress since then in LGBT rights - that one would be very hard to let go of. I do cherish the fact that everyone at work knows that I'm gay and that no one could care less - it's a non-issue in my workplace as it should be. In 1968 I wouldn't have that.

What I would have is access to a new life in Canada and should I have stayed, I would (I'm guessing) have fit in better in terms of calling out society for what it is (much more acceptable at that time vs. now) and I would have appreciated access to healthcare not being a nightmare. Some give and take here, though as I said, I'd have issues with the lack of LGBT rights in that era. That time did have it's problematic points, too. Rob

I remember being a little kid during the Cuban Missile Crisis and going and standing outside and thinking, well, if the world is ending, I want to be here to see it before it goes. I remember a feeling a surreal terror but also a feeling that I wanted to say goodbye to the earth, the trees, everything I thought was so beautiful.

I was six.

Life wasn't all maltshops and roller skates, I guess.

Thread Information