Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrift store traffic today

Thrift store traffic today

I went to Goodwill this morning to see if they still had two upholstered chairs we saw there Wednesday night. The chairs were there and I bought them for $9 each. I had watched a video on detecting bedbugs and educated myself on that before committing to these chairs.

I was surprised, actually, that they were still available this morning. They are in nice shape and although not expensive, they look better than typical thrift store chairs.

I spent quite a lot of time shopping there this morning. I am looking for household goods for our weekend house, but I dont want to fill the house with crap so I am carefully considering the absolute basics we need.

The store was very busy and it had lots of merchandise. Given how busy it was, I put anything in which I had interest in my cart. At the end, I culled stuff and removed a crockpot and a big floor basket, deciding tnat they were too cheaply made. i will wait for better quality items.

This afternoon we returned to pick up the chairs and lo and behold, that crockpot was gone and so was that basket. I dont regret not getting them, but dang, that was fast!

I wonder if January is a time when everyone cleans out stuff from their homes.

I went for scarves last weekend, still have short hair. The drop off lane was packed and blocking the entrance. I had to park across the street and wait for the idiot who was blocking the entrance to finally move. The whole store was 50% off so it was getting very cleared out, i found 3 scarves and spent $2.12

Sure, January has always been the month for organizing, hence the de-cluttering. Haven't you ever noticed right after Christmas all the stores advertising Rubbermaid tubs and plastic bins on sale?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I am going to be interested in how the tax changes affect thrift store donations. I know that for me, there is no point in itemizing in 2018. Our “mortgage” is a home equity loan, our “kids” are no longer legal dependents, and our state/local/property tax deductions are now capped at $10,000.

so, anything with a significant donation value to size ratio is going to be set aside in the basement for evaluation in 2019 when we double up charity contributions, some things will go to stores that pay cash for them (books, possibly a few clothing or household items), and other items will have more value as raw materials (clothing for fabric, metal for recycling)

if other people are making similar decisions for similar reasons, 2018 could be a lean year for charities.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    if other people are making similar decisions for similar reasons, 2018 could be a lean year for charities.
    A friend of mine who is a consultant for arts-based non-profits noted in December that a lot of people were sending in bigger checks with the note "This includes our 2019 donation, too." It could indeed be a long year for non-profits until people have an idea how things will shake out (which will take years of waiting to take the deduction and then countering it through audits and the tax courts).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

which will take years of waiting to take the deduction and then countering it through audits and the tax courts).”

i don’t understand what you mean by this? I understand that prepayment of taxes may be an issue, but one does not “owe” a charitable donation - the IRS cannot force you to donate in any particular pattern or charge you with anything based on the timing of your donation. Taking credit for a donation in the year it was made is pretty simple and straight forward.

What I could have made clearer is that changing the tax code has ramifications that go well beyond the individual tax year. The code is changed; accountants and tax attorneys interpret it their various ways and advise their clients accordingly; returns are filed; the taxing agencies either approve or disapprove of the accountants/tax attorney interpretations; if people feel strongly enough, the matter goes to court.

My comment wasn't tied specifically to charitable giving, but to the entire panoply of activities people take to avoid taxes ("owed" or not). Just saying that it will take years to figure out what this restructuring will do to taxation and how it will create new winners and new losers AFA taxpayers, investment strategies, donations, etc.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I don't give to charity to save on taxes I do it because it is the right thing to do so will not affect my giving at all.

It will affect the timing of my cash donations. I can afford to give more if the govt didn’t already take 20% of the money. Cold hard fact. Honestly I just see goodwill as one of many options to keep items in circulation. It generally wins out on convenience and tax credit. Half price books is slightly less convenient, and less economic return, but possibly a lower chance of the books being thrown away.

I haven't claimed charitable deductions for years, and I give more as time goes by.

Thread Information