Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the 'how' of finding a new job

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

the 'how' of finding a new job

I sent my job coach my resume to look over and actually there is a job at her charter school so we will be looking at that. So far I have been checking a couple job boards weekly or more, have only applied once with my basic resume, and have been on the lookout for a job but not serious. The last time I was seriously looking I was subbing and working at Target so I cast a wide net, almost anything was an improvement however the recession made any decent job hard to find. I didn't need as targeted of a resume as I was coming in bottom level.

Now that I am getting serious what are your suggestions? How do you make a job search work with more than full time work? especially how to make it work when being challenged by underlying depression and the ways it saps your confidence

Yppej
    There may be evening networking groups available (there were in my area). Toastmasters may help if you lack confidence in speaking at interviews. Recruiters may be able to help, but usually want you to meet with them during regular business hours before presenting you as a candidate, and in my experience tried to push me towards what they had open (temp work, long commutes) rather than what I wanted. If you are in a major metropolitan area your results may be better. Most of my jobs I got just by applying for them but a good recruiter will screen out anything paying too little at a minimum.

Are you on LinkedIn?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Are you on LinkedIn?
    Yes, it has been prompting me to post my resume. Do you think that is useful?

Yes. I have heard from plenty of recruiters or companies who contacted me about jobs.

Great! Will do today

Zoe Girl, how/where did you find a job coach?

I actually found her on thumbtack, a way to find all sorts of people offering expert services. I called a few until I found one that had expertise in education, which was what I needed. You can get reviews on there so it helps to find a qualified person.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I actually found her on thumbtack, a way to find all sorts of people offering expert services. I called a few until I found one that had expertise in education, which was what I needed. You can get reviews on there so it helps to find a qualified person.
    Thanks very much! I've not heard of Thumbtack before but I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Thanks very much! I've not heard of Thumbtack before but I'll look into it.
    They will send you a thousand emails and texts. Don't give them your "best" email address unless you want tons of junk. As far as texts, I would advise a google voice number. Just sayin.

Thread Information