Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's (blank)hole comment.....

Thankfully even our flawed electoral college isnt so badly flawed that 35% of the voters can force their will on the rest of us.

I thought my head was going to explode. Every time I think he will go no lower he does.

Being of Norwegian and Irish extraction, I appreciated the President's kind regard for people from wet, chilly places. Or perhaps he was shilling for the sunscreen industry. You never know with that guy.

Although to be fair, when my ancestors inflicted themselves on America in the 19th century both those countries had certain blank-hole aspects they were trying to escape.

I know I've said this before, but I've often thought we should adopt a Canadian-style immigration policy and trade our current identity politics approach for a more practical return on investment approach.

I don't know isn't this just the Rob philosophy, choose the best country you can. So of course people are mostly coming here from countries in even worse conditions and not from countries in better shape than the U.S. (like Norway). Even those coming here to earn money don't always stay (true even if they are coming from south of the border, but probably even more true if coming from Norway or Canada etc.). Now of course all this was bad diplomacy. And just because you live in a ___hole country doesn't make you a bad person, we have to live in the U.S. under Trump afterall.

If Trump wanted to be the best Trump he could be he would focus on making conditions better for those who are living here (but we have so far to go to be Norway that that is just aiming too high - start with small achievable goals). I don't expect it from Trump mind you but it was the slogan he ran on.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I know I've said this before, but I've often thought we should adopt a Canadian-style immigration policy and trade our current identity politics approach for a more practical return on investment approach.
    Because, when all is said and done, it's all about money.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...aginably-worse

Of course the Trump administration, with the 2018 budget, just took a good step towards turning this country into a s***hole by cancelling funding to replace the train tunnels under the Hudson River that carry 430,000 people into the city each day. These tunnels are over 100 years old and are degrading quickly after being partially flooded during Hurricane Sandy. Apparently his talk of infrastructure during the campaign was just a bunch of lies, as were pretty much all of his policies that would actually help people. Supposedly he considers it a "local issue" but with 1/5 of the nation's GDP happening in NYC it's not hard to imagine what will happen when people can't get to work anymore. But, heck, the people in those states didn't vote for him, so he and the republican party are going to go out of their way to punish them as much as possible because that's the kind of childish people they are.

In my shithole state, Federal highway bridges drop into rivers and disrupt the region's economy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-5_Sk...ridge_collapse

There are a lot of bridges on the "we don't know why it is still standing..." list.

Also, take a look at the dam/reservoir safety reports.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Because, when all is said and done, it's all about money.
    I don't think it outrageous that places like Canada and Mexico base a large part of their immigration policy on what immigrants can contribute to their new home. I don't think it outrageous that the US could consider similar policies.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...aginably-worse

Supposedly he considers it a "local issue" but with 1/5 of the nation's GDP happening in NYC it's not hard to imagine what will happen when people can't get to work anymore.
    That's only true if you count Boston, Washington and everywhere in between as part of NYC.

I have thought this too, LDAHL. Places like Norway and Australia, for example, are held up as "good" nations but their policies seem actually quite racist. So why are they considered to have good social policy, and we are considered to have bad social policy.
    Why is it okay for Canada to require work requirements, training, education, etc. but we are not supposed to.
    I truly think there is much hypocrisy around this issue., and much holier than thou posturing.

Thread Information