Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's (blank)hole comment.....

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Off the top of my head, I can think of quite a few immigrants and offspring of immigrants from non-European countries who have contributed immeasurably to this country (Steve Jobs and innumerable techies, for starters), so I have trouble with this theory. Immigrants are by definition risk-takers and prone to taking initiative, whatever their ethnicity.
    It is easy to demonstrate the barriers that have been set up for immigrants of specific origins. Some risk takers are more equal than others when it comes to being given opportunity in The US. I would classify Muslim Middle Easterners at the top of that list followed by African immigrants as perhaps one of the most challenged and then followed closely by Latin immigrants. Asians have been blessed with being accepted after struggling for more than a century.

It is not so much consistent with racism that Trump wishes to have immigrants from Norway. The fact is, the Europeans already here since the beginning of our nation, will accept them and provide them with immediate opportunity with which to show their initiative.

My own great grandfather lost a silverware factory because he hired Asians to do the work. Today, an Asian would most likely be CEO. Some believe it is because of their concentration on education and family values. While I believe they have done that, they could not pull themselves up collectively as they have, without acceptance by the European base which wields all the power in this country. Just ask the blacks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-and-brightest

"Economist Edward Lazear suggests a simple experiment. Consider immigrants to the U.S. from Algeria, Israel and Japan, and rank them in order of most educated to least educated."

I may be telescoping the ease with which immigrants rise to the occasion (despite whatever pushback they encounter), and maybe optimism clouds my vision, but I never fail to be impressed with what newcomers to this country can accomplish. There can hardly be enough of them to suit me; they're the spice in the dish that is America, IMO.

Another thing to remember was that when they first started arriving, those dreadful people from the predominantly Catholic countries of Italy and Ireland were looked down upon and considered just as "not really white" as all the brown people coming today. Baseless hate was a crappy immigration policy then and it still is today.

Yppej
    I remember in high school reading Giants in the Earth in translation because Rolvaag had not assimilated enough to write in English, whereas Danticat does.

in the South we have a saying he is "a turd in the punch bowl"

No, I am not surprised by anything he says or does.

It does concern me that we are judged by the world on the type of leader we elected.

I do not disagree with 100% of his actions, but most of them.

Williamsmith
    I’m comfortable with him. But then again, I spent my life immersed in communities full of asshats. The economy does seem to be perking up though...don’t you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I’m comfortable with him. But then again, I spent my life immersed in communities full of asshats. The economy does seem to be perking up though...don’t you think?

LOL......from a moderate trapped in TN..........yes I am happy about the economy

I've always been somewhat skeptical of attaching much credit or blame for swings in the economy to presidents. It's almost a sort of cargo cult mentality, attributing mystical powers to an individual rather than the billions of daily decisions made by millions of people (and increasingly, their machines). Was Mr. Obama really our savior in 2009? Do the financial markets really turn on Mr. Trump's tweets? I think presidents, along with many other individuals and institutions, can influence events, but generally not directly or immediately. It takes a lot of bad decisions by a lot of people over time to create a financial crisis, for instance.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I've always been somewhat skeptical of attaching much credit or blame for swings in the economy to presidents. It's almost a sort of cargo cult mentality, attributing mystical powers to an individual rather than the billions of daily decisions made by millions of people (and increasingly, their machines). Was Mr. Obama really our savior in 2009? Do the financial markets really turn on Mr. Trump's tweets? I think presidents, along with many other individuals and institutions, can influence events, but generally not directly or immediately. It takes a lot of bad decisions by a lot of people over time to create a financial crisis, for instance.
    While I do get the flavor of your perspective and in the past would defend you ...... this particular President seems to have a unique “gift” for accelerating, polarizing and inspiring bold talk and action by the influential players. And those whose actions drive the “economic indicators” seem to take the most cues from the Don. Obummer had the opposite affect.

Thread Information