Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's (blank)hole comment.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Trump's (blank)hole comment.....

OK, to be fair here I acknowledge here and now that I am one of this board's more outspoken liberals - regulars here of course know this by now. That out of the way, what do you'all make of Trump's recent comment about (blank)hole countries? As a liberal I'm very offended and utterly appalled - say what you will about Hillary Clinton but I seriously doubt she would make such a remark......I don't mean to slam on any Conservatives here, truly I don't.....I just wonder how, given this country's history welcoming immigrants, and how this country was built up on their blood, sweat, and tears - how can you continue to support Trump after this comment? To me this comment overlooks all the great things done by those who have fled war torn countries, countries of famine, just countries that were overall unstable for one reason or another.

I can't forgive Trump for this - this coment shows his true character and what he is truly all about to me. But that's just me - What about other people? I promise not to bash, really, I'm just trying to understand how anyone could continue to support Trump after this comment. Rob

In the world of stupid, offensive, and annnoying Trumpisms, this one doesnt rankle me and all of the hoopla about it seems excessive. Yes it was, at the least, impolitic and at the most wrong if one is prone to seeing everything through a lense of racism.

I think Haiti and several other countries that are “war torn, countries of famine, just countries that were overall unstable” are indeed sxxxholes.

To me this comment does NOT overlook “all the great things dne by those who have fled...” It isnt about immigrants, it is about the countries they come from. How do the sxxxholes prepare these folks for respnsible citizenry here? Not well, I think.

Third world people can be great immigrants here, but careful selection of who will come in and judicious monitoring of support they get here is a huge part of the equation.

There is no way the U.S. can take in all of the refugees in the world, so how do we determine how many come here and where they come from? How do we measure the resources that go to support them and measure the resulting citizen productivity?

You cn find his words revealing of hs “true nature” and I wont argue with that. And once agan we have your inability to “forgive.” Dude, who says you have to forgive, anyway, and why do we care that you wont “forgive?”
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-14-18 at 10:03am.

Yppej
    Haiti might not be in the mess it is today if

1) We had supported their revolution instead of trying to undermine it because we were afraid it would inspire emancipation in our own country
    2) We had not repeatedly intervened in the country and propped up dictators inclyding the Duvaliers
    3) We had not worked to bring down the popular, and popularly elected, President Jean Bertrand Aristide

It stands to reason that people would be more motivated to leave a country that was experiencing war, famine, political unrest, climate issues...That's been the case historically. Emigres are usually a pretty resilient bunch; the truly downtrodden are likely too beaten down to take action. Trump's counterpoint--"Where are the immigrants from Norway?" was laughable, but I'm sure it played well with his base.

I personally only have ever heard one person, my father who is Archie Bunker speak this way. It was sad. Expected, but sad.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    There are some people who love he said this. Ann Coulter said he was trying to win her back
    what do you expect of people who truly believe Mexico is going to pay for a great big beautiful wall across the entire south border? That Mexicans are rapists and All Muslims are terrorists and he had a plan for a health care plan that was cheaper, would provide better coverage and cover more people?

And that Obama gave up prime realestate for a new Embassy in London (false. Bush did this and for valid reasons. The new neighborhood is highly desirable by the way.

Shame on the Republican Party and the Evangelicals he touts as his supporters for not denouncing his ignorant hate speech and stupid, ignorant and often inaccurate tweets. Even if they think the overall idea is what they support. The US cannot possible take in the 65 million or so refugees in the world, so a reasonable sane immigration policy is certainly needed. And letting people who break the laws and sneak in or overstay their visa’s igo to the front of the line and bring in relatives is perhaps the most unfair.

But his behavior should not surprise us if you watched his rallies. review his first 100 day plan and you see he has done his best to implement what he promised.

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/50145...first-100-days

it’s the hateful and ignorant way he goes about things and outright lies. We are lucky Mr My Button is Bigger than yours hasn’t gotten us involved in yet another war. He certainly does not behave the way a stable genius would.

A person you can't stand, that you "resist" who is unforgivable, has done something you deem unforgivable and we citizens (not renters) are supposed to be surprised?

I'm not particularly surprised by the remark. And it will indeed play well with his base so I don't see much downside for him. The 35% of the country that still think he's doing great consider this aspect of him to be a feature, not a bug.

The problem I had with what he said is not that he called the countries s***holes. Parts of them undoubtedly are. The problem is that he didn't then go on to say, "what can we do to help the people there who want to better their lives?" but instead asked why can't we get more people from norway?

Sure some people love that he said it, mainly the media. They LOVe it. They will keep up his popularity by making sure every utterance is front page news.

6F980EAC-E37E-43BF-ACBE-97B49408CC89.jpg

Thread Information