Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does what you do for money = identity for you?

As for the original question, I was a computer geek for 30 years. Yeah, it's who I am. So I would have to say what I do (well, did) for money = identity. I had no problems with it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Partly. "Librarian" would be included in any description of myself, and even after I fully retire I will still consider myself a Librarian.

Is it the most important part of me? I don't think so. What I value most in life is my family and my connection to the natural world, my personal growth and creativity.

Before I went to college I would have said no. AFter I got my first professional job it definitely did. First I was a social worker and then I did all the testing, evaluations, etc to help people with disabilities get back to work. Then when I retired I became an adjunct professor so I now see myself as a teacher.

Williamsmith
    I did so many things...gas station attendant, sold fruits and vegetables, chased down shopping carts and stocked shelves, assistant to a millright, delivered payroll in a big city, was a foster parent for severe and profoundly challenged wonderful humans, air traffic control, state trooper/ criminal investigator, regional pharmaceutical drug representative, and a golf course maintenance man. Every single hour I ever worked....I did it to pay bills and raise a family. Nothing about who I am ever influenced what I did.

Every single job made me who I am. Much of it I despise. Some of it, I am shocked about. A very small percentage, I am proud of. My true identity is very different than my current identity. It is under a thick layer of calluses, scar tissue and emotional turmoil but it is there. I dig for it on a daily basis. rarely do I find a nugget, it is usually just some dust but I collect it. Once in awhile I put it on a scale and weigh it and find progress.

I am jealous of those who got to express their identity in their workplace. That would have been wonderful.

Are you an engineer because you're that way or are you that way because you're an engineer?"
    Hahaha I think it's the former for me.

Thread Information