Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does what you do for money = identity for you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Does what you do for money = identity for you?

Just curious......does what you do for money equal identity to you? Maybe I'm lucky as I have not held many professional jobs in my lifetime but for me to answer is a resounding NO WAY! I'm glad to have my current job, I'm glad to be learning what I am learning on this job, and I'm glad for the chance to save some money, both in a 401(K) and in a credit union savings account.....I'm glad for the frequent overtime to help with this.....but do I take identity from this? No - no can do - that shipped sailed years ago. What about you, does work equal identity to you? Rob

My creativity and thoughtfulness to others has always = identity for me whether at work or play. Money seems to result with this practice.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Not anymore, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. I have always wanted to work for a nonprofit helping make the world a better place but it's never worked out. Maybe it will be a retirement job though.

Yes for me. Psychiatric nursing is a big part of who I am.

Yes it does. Though I have not held a job for pay in 17 years. However I was a stay at home mom. If we would not have been able to afford this luxury I would not have been able too, so Yes. Husband has a career, he only works as hard as he does for money, yes it identifies him. He has always had finer clothes and toys due to his hard work.

When we stepped back one time and thought it was time to retire really young, Money or lack or an income from a job 100% Identified how/why and what we did or did not do and lived.

To others, who knows as it would depend on the individual and you can't control what they think.
    To myself, no. It is just a job.
    Things that I have enjoyed and tried to make into jobs (you know the old belief that if you love what you do, it isn't work), have not worked out that way. I get to where I hate them as I get to deal with other peoples problems.

Even if I wasn't an engineer, my habits and ocd-ness would follow me to any other job
    Last edited by herbgeek; 1-13-18 at 6:54pm.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Even if I wasn't an engineer, my habits and ocd-ness would follow me to any other job
    A friend of mine, married to an engineer, often asks him, "Are you an engineer because you're that way or are you that way because you're an engineer?"
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Are you an engineer because you're that way or are you that way because you're an engineer?"
    Hahaha I think it's the former for me.

Being a Registered Nurse is a big part of my life. Is it my identity? No....but definitely a significant descriptor if someone asks "who are you".

Thread Information