Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another decor question- kitchen cabinets

To keep our kitchen discussion going:

We are finally replacing our kitchen countertops. We have walked up to this line twic before and then backed off because we couldnt agree on material.

But our current counters are untenable, I cant keep them clean any more and I am tired of trying.

So after lots of back and forth we are ordering a plain grey quartz countertop.

I did find a reasonably priced, cheap even, granite I liked a lot! But I decided in the end to avoid a “busy” countertop.I sat yesterday looking at our kitchen without my glasses, And I remember why I kept these fugly formica countertops for so long: they are light in color and neutral. They dont dominate the kitchen, and I like that.

So we are spending $6,000 on countertops that look essentialy the same as the old dirty formica ones we have had for 30 years. Way to be modern! Haha.

I will say that I fell in love with real stone and there are some gorgeous granites out there that arent especially expensive. Then, there was a quartzite slab that was truly sublime.But expensive. And piecing it togehter to bet the parts that are pretty would tax me no end, I do not want that hassle.

In the end I love real stone but am not getting it. And what I REALLY want, cherry or walnut countertops, is not in the realm of possible, DH says No Way.

I like quartz (I have it, and I put it in my MIL's house, too). I don't have to worry about burning it or maintaining it. Very practical, and nice-looking, too.

Congrats on your new counters!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thankfully DH leaves all the decorating decisions to me so I do not have to agree with anyone. Also because I make the decisions I get things done quickly the way I want them. My home is very important to me so I always change the stuff I do not like immediately when we buy a house. The changes are made, including painting, etc before I ever move in.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Thankfully DH leaves all the decorating decisions to me so I do not have to agree with anyone. Also because I make the decisions I get things done quickly the way I want them. My home is very important to me so I always change the stuff I do not like immediately when we buy a house. The changes are made, including painting, etc before I ever move in.
    This is the way God intended men and women to live.haha.

DH! Were it up to him, he would choose the ugliest granite in the store. Out of a sample of 25 stones I could walk immediately to his first choice. I wont say what he likes in case others here have that same granite.

in dishes, he likes dishes with blue flowers. I do not like dishes with blue flowers unless they are Victorian flow blue. He does not like those, of course.But I have 80% decision making over dishes so that isnt a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So we are spending $6,000 on countertops that look essentialy the same as the old dirty formica ones we have had for 30 years. Way to be modern! Haha.
    Why not just get laminate again?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, because stone or granite is beautiful and you can put hot things on it and not burn the counters. Once you have them you will never go back.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    They're trying to burn through their money before they die. See the Trust thread.

This kitchen we are remodeling had almond colored formica which I actually grew to like. It took me back to my Mom's white formica with sparkles back in the 70s. Looking at quartz and going oh my at the cost.

IL; now you just have to convince your DH that decorating is woman's work)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    It is hard to keep clean, it always has been. It is ugly close up. And Teacher Terry would think I am denying myself if I got laminate again. (Dont tell her that this quartz was at the low end of what we expected to pay.)

Thread Information