Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another decor question- kitchen cabinets

Another decor question- kitchen cabinets

I have painted kitchen cabinets that are an interesting shade of brown, almost chocolate milk brown. I want to paint them, as they are too dark and too ugly, but I can't decide what color to use. I have white appliances, almond sink and countertop, greige mottled flooring, ceiling is newly painted white (Bakers Box). And the cabinets are painted brown.

The adjacent room, living/dining, has light mint green walls, same greige flooring and white ceiling; white miniblinds and soft white (marshmallow) trim. I really like these colors together.

I was thinking of a light blue grey, but chickened out when I looked at the paint chips, because it feels like adding yet another neutral. Thoughts?

Yppej
    How about millenial pink?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    How about millenial pink?
    If I were painting kitchen cabinets, I think I'd stick with some neutral shade because it's so hard to paint them, and by the time you get to redoing them, the color will probably be out of style. I'd stick with the blue-grey, and then find a way to break out of the neutrals in other ways that are easily replaceable, like pillows, curtains and rugs. In the kitchen, even a bright red teakettle would break the monotony of neutrals. Or pull in the mint green from the other room.

Yppej has a good idea with the pink, actually. It's one of the new 2018 Benjamin Moore colors (see "Pleasant Pink" in the link below).
    https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...or-trends-2018
    pink.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've never found cabinets any harder to paint than any other part of the house - but I'm not all that picky, lol. If you like the green/white combination, why not go for a shade of green? Personally, that pink reminds me way too much of.... well, yucky stuff, lol.

DH is painting our kitchen cabinets now, even as we speak.

I recently read an article by a designer who said to look at the undertones of the finishes and paints. Are those undertones cool or warm? That makes a difference. Surfaces should all have the same undertone, cool, or warm.

I cannot tell the undertone of my white-ish cabinents, but I think it is warm.We use an off white color, it is not stark white.
    I have cool tone grey floor, cool tone grey countertop, warm green wall.

I am struggling a bit to choose new countertops and, I suppose, a backsplash material. We wont put on the backsplash for a another year, most likely.

I wish I hadnt read that article because it shook my confience! Haha. But I think we will get quartz countertops in a cream and grey. I think I will always have a grey floor because I like the way it hides dirt. A grey subway tile will be fine for backsplash. I will just ignore the warm green of the walls, that is used throughout our house.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-14-18 at 12:41pm.

Hmm... interesting tip about the warm vs cool. I've spent the whole darn morning studying color palettes. I talked DH into painting the interior of the VT house white and then jazzing it up with accents and textures.

But I just played around with the Benjamin Moore color tool that allows you to upload your own photo and then pick their colors to see how they'd look. I was disappointed in white. I know that the white is just the canvas and I do have a lively color palette in mind, but somehow that paint tool seemed to strip all the warmth from the cottage.

So now I'm back to maybe just backing off some of the painting until I've lived in it. I would definitely swap out that magenta on the far wall for something else--even if it's red. The red would actually mirror the red of the top of the Dutch door in the kitchen, so that could work. As for the other colors, I might keep the green and yellow. Maybe replace the magenta with green (or even aqua) and keep it simple.

I'll be installing a backsplash, too. I'm probably going with a black and white checkerboard, but we'll see.

I wish I had the visual sense of a designer, but I usually don't catch my mistakes until it's too late.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have decided to go with off-white cabinets (not quite a cream) since the floor is light oak. The backsplash and counters are a mystery at this point but it will all be DIY to shave costs. We were in the middle of opening up the dining room wall yesterday determined to be non-load bearing and found surprises - two metal conduits for plugs and then a diagonal brace in the wall. Why there would be a brace on an interior wall is curious - but hopefully no more surprises.

Black and white checkerboard is jazzy, I love that idea! Maybe I will do that in my Hermann house.

I am also thinking about a vintage stove for there, one from the 1940’s.

This isnt about kitchen cabinets but it is about kitchen stuff: we got a new stove. It is
    ASTONISHING. It has, get this, A WINDOW into the oven! It has an oven light!!! But best of all, the flame areas are tightly sealed and there is far less space for food junk to collect.

We have always purchased the cheapest stoves available. Because we are redoing countertops after 30 years here in this house, we are re building the center island and need a stove in a different configuration. On a scale of 1 to 10 where a 10 is an Aga stove and 1 is a tiny apartment stove, our new stove is about a 4. But it is luxurious to us!

This is one of the nice things about being frugal. When you upgrade to a “normal” item it seems like luxury.

-I haven't seen a stove without a window, lights etc since I was about 25. Hope you really splurged and got the self cleaning. We always buy middle of the road appliances.

Thread Information