Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Another decor question- kitchen cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Someone just saved one of my pins on Pinterest. I had forgotten about it, but given the conversation here, and how IL says she loves grey, this one's for you, IL. Beautiful room, all grey and white:

Very soothing!

Neither was oak. One was from IKEA and was alder or something, but they do not sell it anymore. Here is what they do sell:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...itchens/24264/

One was from Sears--came in 6 foot lengths, was sold as workbench top:

Our carpenter friend liked it so much he did his kitchen with it, too, although he sanded it and stained it a darker color because his wife preferred that. It looked fantastic.

I am only doing floors in classic oak 2” boards. Medium tone. That is classic. I never get tired of all of the oak floors I see. Our new house has one room with old oak flooring that has a fancy edge pattern and it is really really nice. Our original pine floors here in current house are not tenable and we have that cheapish parquet stuff over them, now beat up and ready for replacement.

The bamboo stuff was popular years ago, and probably it holds up well (it was reputed to be very hard. And environmentally friendly! ) but I havent heard it talked aboit lately.

That grey room is pretty and would be good for my current liestyle of clean object, hard surfaces, grey. Actually my upstairs bedrooms are grey.

But the bedroom I really want is not one I have. I dont have what I want because
    1) the rain problem
    2) cats and dogs spread their filth all over, and I need surfaces easy to clean.

But it has occurred to me that in our weekend house I can use one of those upstairs garret bedrooms to create the womb palace I would really like to have. Animals woild not be alloed up there and of course
    I wouldn't actually sleep there because my dog must sleep with me, that is not negotiable, just ask him!

Here is an example of what I’m talking about. I would love to have one of these cozy red or pink rooms:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-18-18 at 2:08pm.

The grey and white is nice. OUr house has hard wood in the house that was built in 1950 but the 70's addition does not. The 70's addition is the dining room and master bedroom/bath. WE used a vinyl laminate because you guessed we had 4 old dogs. The kitchen also did not have hard wood so we used the same thing there. The kitchen and dining room are open to one another so it flows. If not for the dgos we would have put wood in those rooms too. One of our old dogs had dementia so pottying outside or on the pad got to be merely a suggestion. She died but we have one that is 13 and doing well but you never know down the road. What we do for our fur babies. I used to have alot of decorations but having been getting rid of stuff like crazy. So I am watching HGTV and they decorate the house for the people and I am thinking they have way too much crap that they put in the house before the people even move in and put their own stuff around. I think th hardest part about small living is that you really need to be neat. I could live alone in a small space with no issues. WE found out the hard way that with messy DH 1400 sq ft is as small as we can go and he still be alive)

Well, I have decided to paint my cabinets white, with the same green in the centers of the doors.
    If I can find the same size handles, I will swap them out; I'll check IKEA this weekend. Otherwise, will be spray painting them before reinstalling.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    White formica with sparkles! Pretty cool.

Think what a miracle product formica was when it was first introduced. What were kitchen countertops before that?
    I neighbor was the second owner of her house, when the house was three years old, just a bit before the great depression. (the phone operator that owned it before her, lost her skates/job) Wooden countertops, that at some point were covered in the asbestos based Linoleum flooring.

Menards sells wooden countertops if one is local to anyone asking. At one point Lumber Liquidators also did. (no idea if they still do)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I neighbor was the second owner of her house, when the house was three years old, just a bit before the great depression. (the phone operator that owned it before her, lost her skates/job) Wooden countertops, that at some point were covered in the asbestos based Linoleum flooring.

Menards sells wooden countertops if one is local to anyone asking. At one point Lumber Liquidators also did. (no idea if they still do)
    Linoleum on the countertops, yes, I vaguely remember some of that.

I gre up in old hpuses, so I thought no we had that in at least one house, and maybe in two f them.

Speaking of wood floors, we just had 3" oak installed on the main level. It was one thing we didn't want to do ourselves. It was a bit of a shock when we first saw it as there are a lot more mineral streaks than the stuff upstairs from the 1960s. You know, character...It almost looks like hickory but looks and feels better than the gross carpet and cheap laminate that preceded it. I am however very tired of spending money on this house and visualizing something much simpler in my future. I recall the linoleum counters with an aluminum band around the edges.

Hunh, that is interesting about the looks of new oak dloors. I havent noticed that on the new floors
    I have seen, but will look closer. I still think oak ismthe way to go, it is classic.

Thread Information