Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Response to corrective action

Response to corrective action

I am going to have my job coach also help me with this, but any advice? Short and sweet or bringing in a bigger picture. Basically i got it for not sending an email to a staff about performance on the due date. The due date was the day my supervisor said i couldn't run several of my programs and put me on hold until 5:30 the next day. I am. Considering that extenuating circumstances due to the extreme stress, and therefore a day delay in writing a sensitive and important email.

The rest of the story includes having physical symptoms of stress in previous incidents that caused me to see the dr, the change in our structure of camp that significantly increased my work load the week before and my willingness to participate in the coaching offered to me by meeting all the deadlines to give him information.

Just went on non profit job board and am seeing jobs! Regardless of if this improves i am still seeking other jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I am going to have my job coach also help me with this, but any advice? Short and sweet or bringing in a bigger picture. Basically i got it for not sending an email to a staff about performance on the due date. The due date was the day my supervisor said i couldn't run several of my programs and put me on hold until 5:30 the next day. I am. Considering that extenuating circumstances due to the extreme stress, and therefore a day delay in writing a sensitive and important email.

The rest of the story includes having physical symptoms of stress in previous incidents that caused me to see the dr, the change in our structure of camp that significantly increased my work load the week before and my willingness to participate in the coaching offered to me by meeting all the deadlines to give him information.

Just went on non profit job board and am seeing jobs! Regardless of if this improves i am still seeking other jobs
    I am glad you are actively looking for other jobs. It kind of sounds as though your supervisor now feels threatened, which is not a good place to be.

I don't know the answer to your question but I am sure others on here who do or did HR work will have some good ideas.

I would personally hesitate to play up the extreme stress angle unless you are trying to prove that you are being harrassed at the job by supervisor, which may be the case. But I would be concerned about playing into their assessment of me or getting defensive about workplace reactions. I guess I wonder if they are building some case that you don't handle stress just because you are standing up for yourself--again, I hope wiser more experienced heads weigh in on this one.

I would go see an employment attorney about the stress and the harrassment by the supervisor and the lying and the way you are being physically and mentally affected, to see what recourse you might have there.

I would also say, simply and to the point--the email evaluation was not completed since my supervisor changed my programming the day it was due, and I needed to rearrange all the vendors, etc.--that he substituted another task for that day that had a more urgent priority than the email evaluation of your subordinate.

But that would just be my action, and I am not sure whether that is a good response or not.

Zoe, we know only what you choose to tell us. That right there limits anyone’s effectiveness in giving you advice.

In the big picture, it is fine to write a rebuttal to your corrective action. It is also an excellent thing that you are seeking out your job coach for advice and support.

But—and you knew there was a “but” coming, right? Haha—I see you flailing about, grabbing onto many in your circle for the support you seem to need. You wanted support from your meditation colleagues, you asked your subordinate to help with the wording of this rebuttal, you walked out and about with a subordinate to fume on Monday, you ask here for wisdom and guidance. All of that is too widespread and it shows you as very emotional and needy.

Please, focus. Focus on the one professional you have chosen to give you advice, your job coach. YOU CHOSE HER and so I assume she is competant and she will work effectvely with you.

my two cents, and this advice is worth exactly that, is to avoid the defense of “I was too upset to do the task by the deadline.” That appears to me to be what you are going toward. From what you told us, it is not truthful that you were, as Tybee suggests, doing actual work to rearrange vendors and etc. You were simply upset and took the day off.

It also concerns me how you bring subordinates into your altercation with your boss. I was in the position of your subordinates and I hated it, and it was a relief when my emtional boss who was having lots if trouble ( and oversharing with two of us employees) finally resigned. Finally!!! Whoosh, a relief.

I would not waste time visiting an employment attorney. There is nothing actionable here.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-14-18 at 12:57pm.

I do appreciate the feedback, i am calmer now but have spent a lot of times distressed this weekend, after feeling like i settled down and let it go as soon as i was told i could hold these classes and anything i needed to follow up and do next. I am not sure what to say in this letter then, my entire point was that i feel he threw me into a very stressful situation of uncertainty which caused the difficulty writing the email. Maybe it isn't valid, but it was what happened.

I want to be clear that i talked to one subordinate who had been working extensively on this project about a thoughtful and professional response based on his work. One reason to be off site that afternoon was to keep all other staff out of it and to not be put in a position with parents where i didn't know what to say. They.would be asking a lot about these new clubs and i wanted to have things settled. I am not talking to my assistant about the write up or my response, or even the letter to the other staff. Some of the tension my staff see for themselves, and i just keep going back to how can i be part of making this better. On this board i am more emotional, but i bring up in all these conflicts that i a committed to doing my part to improve the situation or communication.

Iris, i know i am emotional and needy. It is fine if you need to ignore my posts, i am flaling for a support system, i don't want to overburden anyone and i do want to be there for my friends as well. The feeling that i am not okay (and although my dr thinks i do great for someone with my diagnoses i can never really be sure) and defective is added on to everything. The person i asked for a reference asked me to consider that i could be making mistakes to force myself to leave, but i make mistakes every year. Social isolation is an issue, but i am making baby steps to get out with people.that is another post, i got out with people 2 times yesterday! Huge for me to not get so anxious or tired that i cancelled.

My simple advice, based purely on observations of your posts here:

Your current job situation seems very toxic to you, and isn't compatible with your mindset. I'd seek employment elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    ...I am not sure what to say in this letter then, my entire point was that i feel he threw me into a very stressful situation of uncertainty which caused the difficulty writing the email. Maybe it isn't valid, but it was what happened. ...
    The last thing I would do is use "stress" as an excuse for anything. Many, if not most of us, have been under stress of one kind or another at work. No supervisor is going to see that as a valid excuse. It's part of being an adult to learn to deal with it, even if that means leaving the situation if it becomes untenable. Is there a way you could work on emotional resilience with a counselor?

Also, I would get in the habit of sending emails a day or two before the deadline, to do an end run around situations like this.

The boss found a factual reason to write you up. All the rest is extraneous ... not unimportant, but not applicable to this write up. I think you should accept the write up, as the simple fact of it is true, and move on.

Anything else makes you look bad to everyone at the company.

I know it doesn't feel fair. But he is your boss.

Yppej
    I would look for a position like trainer or coach where you get the positive experiences of supervising without all the responsibilities. First it was timesheets, now it's emailing a subordinate, and all the time you have to scramble to find coverage when people call out - just one hassle after another. I continue to think you would be happier as an individual contributor rather than a manager.

I agree with Yppej and bae. Management isn't for everyone (I avoided it like the plague).
    I'm glad you're planning your escape.

Your job sounds like a living hell. You work too many hours and too many things are expected of you. Of course occasionally you will miss something. Your mind is overburdened. I sure hope you can find a sane 40 hour week job. When I read your posts I think how does any one person do all that crap competently on a consistent basis? Answer is that they don't. They either quit or get fired. They are just using people up and spitting them out as garbage.

Thread Information