Thread: Slightly better news sources

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Slightly better news sources

Cable news is out of control. They love love love trump being president. You can count on CNN to be talking and writing about all things evil about Trump and the republicans . You can count on fox to be saying all things evil about CNN, the Democrats. They have filled a 24 hour news cycle furthering their agendas and further dividing the country. News flash, what other reporters opinions are is not news. It’s still opinions.

Bbc has some stories, but lately I have been reading NBC, ABC and CBS news online. While there is an underlying thread of Trump news, however it is not 90% and often not the lead story. For instance today I read about Kabul, Afghanistan, some natural disaster news, the Pope, Brexit. The world is continuing to spin, and there is,life outside the divisive and hateful politics going on (both sides) all over the country and world.
    NY times and NPR have better coverage as well, but I am learning to find out what is going on, the half hour network news, and their websites are far superior to the 24 hour news shows with people interrupting and shouting their opinions over one another.

yes, there is bias at times, but not nearly as hysterical. I swear one day someone’s head is really going to explode on Fox or CNN.

I love the BBC website. The Beeb also produces a half hour newscast weekdays for the US that my local PBS station airs.

I also listen to BBC Radio online almost daily, mostly BBC Radio 5 Live or Radio 4.

There's also the BBC World Service online.

I like the Forward, the Guardian, and the Young Turks.

The Guardian is good, too.

I like Al Jazeera, the BBC, and Reuters, along with MSNBC and others. Al Jazeera, particularly, focuses on international reporting.

I listen to BBC World News service sometimes. Here, it is on late at night on NPR so I am not listening to radio that late. By then DH has gone to bed and it is time to be blessedly free of electronic noise areound here.

regular NPR news is decent, too, but still covers too much Trumpie.

Yppej
    Local news just has 5 to 10 minutes of national and international headlines, the weather which is critical for me in winter, and I skip the final third on sports so it only takes 20 minutes of my time.

I don't pay any attention to commercial or cable TV news except local coverage. My online sources are Politico, NPR, and The Hill. I think they are all left of center, but tend to avoid a whole lot of sensationalism. I pick and read online articles from the NYT and Washington Post. They both limit the number of articles you can read in a month, but I've found that when or if I reach my limit I can refresh my browser and start over. Mother Jones tends to go on rambling left rants, but I can enjoy that occasionally. I also watch small doses of PBS Democracy Now with Amy Goodman. Definitely a dose of liberalism, but I think it is decent honest reporting. I wouldn't say any of these are in political middle ground.

I have CBC, my local online paper, NPR, Toronto Star for a very liberal view and the in-depth articles from the online Christian Science Monitor which covers topics from around the world that I find nowhere else but impact our lives in the longterm.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Democracy Now is the most objective news source.
    Life Lessons From The Pennsylvania Dutchhttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/804572

Thread Information