Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hobby

New hobby

It’s not like I need another hobby, but one of my golfing buddies introduced me to sporting clays. I like to target shoot a bit, pistols and rifle, but I haven’t shot a shotgun in probably 15 years. I use to quail hunt, but the bird dog died back then and I gave it up.

So I go out to the gun club and there are around 20 guys there, I bring my old 20 gauge O/U and give it a try. I shot trap a few times in the past, but really wasn’t that excited with it. But this was a blast, targets coming from all directions, even two at a time. I did respectable, but I am a competitive type.

So I got a lesson and had the instructor bring out some demo guns for me to try out. After around 2 hours, 150 shots, and three different guns with adjustments made to the guns and me I definatly saw improvement. I’m pretty sure there is a Ceasar Guerini in my future.

So I guess I’ll spend 4 days golfing, and split the other 3 days between shooting and flying. With time off for vacations of coarse.

It’s interesting that I’ve paid between $60-$150 an hour for golf lessons, the shooting instructor was $80 per hour, but I’ve never paid more than $60 an hour for a flying instructor.

Love hobbies and I too have too many. I have wanted to shoot Black Powder. Me little 56 year old lady, but the Gun Club I bike by has lessons and Black Power Days, so I just might to say I have.

Yes Funny really that golf lessons are more pricey than Flying Lessons!

I've only shot clay pigeons a few times, 40 years ago on my parents' farm, and it was great fun! Enjoy your new hobby.

I have picked up two new stringed instruments, and finding hobbies in my semi retirement is very gratifying.

dmc.........shooting clay pigeons sounds like great fun.

I love putting together jigsaw puzzles, birding, vegetable gardening, water gardening, riding my cart through the field and woods, cooking. Everyone should have hobbies they love.
    Have fun with yours!

Oh yes, and don't forget the vacations! We all need to recuperate from our hobbies.

Save your soul while you can! This is a very addictive hobby, and can expend money almost as fast as being a pilot.

I barely escaped.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Save your soul while you can! This is a very addictive hobby, and can expend money almost as fast as being a pilot.q

I barely escaped.
    To late, this is on the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also picking out shooting glasses and lenses on Monday, probably meet with the fitter on Friday to see how it works on the pattern board. I was told that I would require a higher comb that was standard so I opted for a adjustable comb along with a wood upgrade.

So with golfing around 4 times a week, that leaves me 3 days to fly or shoot. I don’t know how anyone has time to work. I do still take some time off for vacations and boating/fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    It’s not like I need another hobby, but one of my golfing buddies introduced me to sporting clays. I like to target shoot a bit, pistols and rifle, but I haven’t shot a shotgun in probably 15 years. I use to quail hunt, but the bird dog died back then and I gave it up.

So I go out to the gun club and there are around 20 guys there, I bring my old 20 gauge O/U and give it a try. I shot trap a few times in the past, but really wasn’t that excited with it. But this was a blast, targets coming from all directions, even two at a time. I did respectable, but I am a competitive type.

So I got a lesson and had the instructor bring out some demo guns for me to try out. After around 2 hours, 150 shots, and three different guns with adjustments made to the guns and me I definatly saw improvement. I’m pretty sure there is a Ceasar Guerini in my future.

So I guess I’ll spend 4 days golfing, and split the other 3 days between shooting and flying. With time off for vacations of coarse.

It’s interesting that I’ve paid between $60-$150 an hour for golf lessons, the shooting instructor was $80 per hour, but I’ve never paid more than $60 an hour for a flying instructor.
    Very fun hobby! I used to do it too -- though kind of on the cheap. I had the least expensive Italian auto-loader and skipped the tweed vests and such.
    Last edited by Ultralight; 1-27-18 at 11:49am.

I have the mesh shooting vest, to hot down in southern Florida for tweed. And now that I’ve hit the ripe old age of 60, plus the big stock market gains, I’m buying nicer stuff now.

its to help the economy ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I have the mesh shooting vest, to hot down in southern Florida for tweed. And now that I’ve hit the ripe old age of 60, plus the big stock market gains, I’m buying nicer stuff now.

its to help the economy ya know.
    You will have unprecedented amounts of fun!

I went clay shooting in all weather -- even heavy snow. It makes it feel like an adventure. I have taken numerous liberal friends out shooting sporting clays too. They all reluctantly loved it. haha

Also: My dad gave my sister an older .410 side-by-side. I borrowed it a handful of times to shoot sporting clays. Really fun, but really challenging.

I have also taken a 20 gauge coach gun to shoot clays. I was zinging them left and right handed. People were like "nice shootin', you silly ass!" and "Are you confused?!" lol

I am left eye dominant but right handed, so I can shoot either hand -- but when I shoot right-handed I close my left eye. I prefer shooting left handed though because I like both eyes open.

Thread Information