Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running out of pages...

Running out of pages...

As I am sure you have gathered, I am an avid reader.

I will admit that I get a little anxiety when I am, what I call, "running out of pages."

This is when I know I will soon finish a book but I don't have another one waiting for me. And if I do finish without another one lined up, I feel noticeable anxiety.

Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, so I always have another one lined up. If I'm going to be spending time in a waiting room or something, and I'm more than half-way through my book, I'll often bring another for backup.

That hasn't been a problem for me. I always seem to have a backlog on the shelf or the kindle. My main constraint is available time.

I never worry about running out of pages, although I do feel the distress of deciding which book/series/author to try next. I have over 5000 electronic books, each in two formats (epub and mobi) sitting on a server in my home. This enables me to call up any selection I desire on any electronic device from wherever I may be when it becomes time to start another.

I'm currently working on the 'Captain Alatriste' novels by Spanish author Arturo Perez-Reverte. My dilemma resides in who or what to read next.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

What about reading weekly or monthly book reviews online and making a list of books that have twigged some response or curiosity? I have been told by several readers that they find that they have to read a book twice to fully understand the thought behind the book. Have you ever thought or done that?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I only feel that way when I have a really good book, usually a novel. i havent read a really good book for a couple of years. The last one was The Goldfinch.

But then,
    I havent been reading fiction latelh, jave been skimming non ficition. That is not satisfying reading.

Me - that's me too! I have always described myself as a "chain reader", when I finished a book I had to have another one waiting to start. Once, several years ago, I did run out one night with nothing else to read and I remember wandering around the apartment where we lived then feeling the mild anxiety you mentioned. I somewhat felt like an addict not knowing where their next fix/drink/cigarette was coming from. Let me say, THAT has never happened again! My husband also was a reader and we always joked that when snow was in the weather forecast and everyone was hitting the grocery stores, we headed for the library to stock up! Sometime we would come across book sales, used book stores etc. and DH would say we needed to get some "emergency books". Now I am sitting here with our second snowstorm in a week, I can barely see the tip end of my antenna sticking out of the top of my little car. BUT, I have BOOKS!!! I will be okay.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Williamsmith
    Get the Autobiography of Mark Twain in three volumes. At 3000 tediously tiny pages of font you might be working puzzles in the community center by the time you get done. Or as an atheist, you might try the King James Version of the Bible. Might give up reading altogether and never have this problem again.

I keep a notebook of books I want to read and always try to have several on hold at the library. Mild anxiety if I don't have something to read - like now - when the roads are icy and I can't get out. Don't like reading e-books - otherwise that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I keep a notebook of books I want to read and always try to have several on hold at the library. Mild anxiety if I don't have something to read - like now - when the roads are icy and I can't get out. Don't like reading e-books - otherwise that would work.
    I do have a small number of ebooks loaded on my IPAd, ones I think will be very good.

Its not that I dont have books to read, I just cant settle in to start with a good novel, and I am deeply skeptical about most of them being any good, anyway. The good ones take time to sink into them.

That is where I am with movies and tv shows these days, very few productions are super
    interesting to me. So, I find myself watching schlock, stuff that is repetitious and formulaic. Ugh.

Thread Information