Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running out of pages...

www.gutenberg.org/

Your not running out of pages, your ignoring available/free resources, having anxiety over something you can anticipate and control.

I have enough books on Kindle to last me well beyond this life. Many will prove to be clinkers, but I have enough variety to satisfy any mood for a long, long time.

Yppej
    In the past I went through each stack in the library book by book taking home every one that interested me. That project took a few years. You can also create an Amazon account, search for and click on books you like, and it will recommend similar ones for you. Then I look for those at the library. You could also start reading magazines.

I don't have that problem. Like others I have the opposite, I'd have to quit my job if I wanted to even have a chance of reading everything I want to. I prefer my books in dead tree format, so I have several lists of books I want to read on my library account (broken out by fiction and non-fiction by topic) and as I start getting low on pages I move a few from the future reading lists to the hold list and they start showing up on the holdshelf at the library for me. I'm also adding books to the lists on a regular basis. Right now I'm about as low on pages as I've been in years, but two books are waiting on the holdshelf for me: Dreamland: the true tale of America's opiate epidemic by Sam QUinones, Naked Lunch by William S Burroughs and Strange contagion: Inside the surprising science of infectious behaviors and viral emotions and what they tell us about ourselves by Lee Daniel Kravetz. Fire and fury: inside the Trump White House is also on hold but I'm 264 out of 1125 holds for roughly 8 that the library already owns and another 225 they have on order, so it'll be a while before I get that one.

Oh, I'm a reading addict, for sure. I love good books, but if only crap is available, I may read that too, until I have a chance to get something better. Not reading for an extended period - more than a day-makes me feel unsettled - almost physically ill. I do re-read; I visit the Shire off and on, and I have a few other old favorites -some Dickens, Twain, Alan Eckert, Christie. They will keep me going until I get to the library. Of course I'll never have time to read everything I wanted, but I do get the anxiety of not having something to read. But I can think of many worse things than books to be addicted to (said from the worst county in the worst state for opioid overdoses)!

I worry about not having anything good to read too. It has to be really engaging and well-written.
    I work in a library so you'd think I would always be prepared but sometimes it feels like I have read everything.

One of my favorite quotes:
    "The flesh is sorrowful, alas! And I've read all the books."
    --Mallarme

Argh... I feel like I am running out of pages!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Argh... I feel like I am running out of pages!
    I have the opposite problem. I'll run out of heartbeats before I run out of pages.

UL, does your library offer the apps Hoopla and Library2go?

Hoopla has all the classics (plus a large selection of new crap with the occasional gem.) It's saved me quite a few times.

Free of charge, of course, and also clutter free.

I am on Goodreads and for the life of me, I can’t get my To Read List under 100. Since I get as many books from the library as possible, when I get halfway through a book, I put one of my To Read books on hold at the library.
    I recently listened to Dear Fahrenheit 451 with a resulting increase of 10 books on my To Read List.

IL: the author of Dear Fahrenheit 451 really, really liked The Goldfinch too.

Thread Information