Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reading as escapism?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I'm buying it now - songs of distant earth. Wikipedia says it was Arthur c Clark's favorite of all his stuff.
    I can't say enough good things about this book. When I was about halfway through I was wishing the book would never end. haha

Reading as escapism? But reading is - life...

When I was younger and stronger I really frowned upon escapism. But as I have gotten older and worn down by life, I welcome some forms of escapism and I am sympathetic to those who use many forms of escapism.

For me, reading is probably my chief form of escapism.

I am looking for a good, long escape but I cannot seem to find a book or a series of books that will give this to me.

Thoughts? Ideas?

"Songs of distant earth" screams out for a few sequels.

Williamsmith
    I mostly read for information. But there have been times when it could be classified as escapism. I don’t know how old I was when I first read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings But I would say I escaped my teenage boredom. I enjoyed the James Herriot series about the British veterinarian called All Creatures Great And Small...and the followups. Definitely escaped reality when I read the James Wesley Rawles novels on surviving the coming collapse....Patriots, etc. For a time, I read fiction crime novels by Patricia Cornwell. Until I started living the storylines myself.

Id have to say now that my whole life is about escapism. I’ve adapted it to music, indulgences, exercise, travel, relationships.....life is one big escape. It’s really as if I am constantly, adeptly, maneuvering away from uncomfortable situations. Kind of like the Bob Dylan song......”It’s not Dark Yet; But it’s getting there”. When I find myself getting there...I make an adjustment.

A book...a physical book not only takes me somewhere else but it allows me to receive tactile feedback. I love turning pages, I like the crisp sound when I turn a page. I like to be able to flip ahead and see how many pages until the chapter ends. I like to run my forefinger and thumb together along the spine and look at the thickness of the book. I appreciate the craftsmanship of the construction of the book and the printing. A book almost always has an individual smell. Don’t tell me you have never smelled a book. I don’t mind seeing that someone else has read it if it’s a library book. There may be stains on the pages, underlining or corners bent. I like that.

https://youtu.be/C5ixkCXSI7M

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread, I recently read The Songs of Distant Earth. It was the deepest escape I ever took through a book. I highly recommend it.
    Based on your recommendation, I found it at the library and am currently enjoying it during my breaks!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    "Songs of distant earth" screams out for a few sequels.
    Clarke is up in heaven now, so I don't think that'll happen.

But agree in the sense that the setting, the characters, and the ideas could sustain sequels!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Based on your recommendation, I found it at the library and am currently enjoying it during my breaks!
    Excellent! Glad to hear it.

I've got the Harrows of Spring on reserve at the local library and I am about to go fetch it. Excited!

I just keep wondering if the starship made it to the next planet ... I know there's a little ending that gives a hint - but it needed to be a whole novel. So many questions ...

Thread Information