Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Love?

I love my living room with its high ceilings and crown molding and built in bookcases and fireplace. The colors in our living room are silly, green and hot pink, but like the,. I adore one chest of drawers kept there, our tv sits on it. I think about that chest at least once a week.

I love our dining table. I also love my kitchen cabinets.

Currently I am loving the fact that in old age I can slurp coffee at night and it does not appear to affect my sleep. Not too long ago I couldnt drink coffee after noon or I was wired for the night, could not sleep.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-17-18 at 10:07pm.

Williamsmith
    ejchase, it is so refreshing to see someone sharing such important thoughts about their most cherished objects. So many times, people involved in simplicity or minimalism seem to focus on what they are throwing out as a measure of ones maturation. When I think it is just as important to stop, I mean really take some time to appreciate what you have kept. Often I will just pick an object up and hold it in my hand. That sounds strange doesn’t it. Just writing that, sounds strange to me but when I do that or when I just look at something I love....it speaks to me.

I’m not talking about coveting a thing or holding on tightly to it, I’m just talking about appreciating it for what it is in this moment. The real test is, can you give it away knowing the next person would cherish it? Not that you have to give it away to reach some kind of religious experience. No, I mean, you want to share how the object makes you feel with someone else that’s going to appreciate it.....maybe even more than you.

These things fall in that classification for me: my father’s guitar, my uncles shotgun, a small penknife, a special guitar pick, two ink drawings a coworker gave me of my badge and of a trooper on a horse bringing back a handcuffed kidnapper. When I was a teenager I made a dry sink out of knotty pine all with hand tools. I gave it to my wife. I made an Amish style cedar chest for her also. And a hand made Christmas ornament for every year we’ve been married.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I have always loved tiny flashlights. Very useful items!
    I also love key chain multi-tools. I use mine everyday.
    Get an Olight S1 Mini if you don’t have one. They have a clip so that you can mount it on the bill of your cap, it is about as small as a AA battery, it has a battery that is rechargeable by USB and the light it puts out will amaze you. Trust me.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I love my living room with its high ceilings and crown molding and built in bookcases and fireplace. I adore one chest of drawers kept there, our tv sits on it. The colors are silly but I like them, green and bright pink. I think about that chest at least once a week.

I love our dining table. I also love my kitchen cabinets.

Currently I am loving the fact that in old age I can slurp coffee at night and it does not appear to affect my sleep. Not too long ago I couldnt drink coffee after noon or I was wired for the night, could not sleep.
    IL.....don’t you think it’s about bedtime?

I love our second bedroom, which I use as my "den". It's just a plain box of a room, and not even a big one at 8x12 feet, but it's got all my furniture from when I was young and single. (yes, my NYC apartment was small...) And since SO is rarely in here it's truly "my" room, so I can keep it neat, unlike the rest of our apartment. I've got the desk I made from scratch, the tiny bookcase I made by ripping the innards out of a computer which stores all my current library books, the futon I've read hundreds of books on and my computer, in the armoire that I bought from a friend 20 years ago for $40 and a subway token (he helped me move it from Brooklyn to my apartment on the condition that I gave him a token to get home) and which SO refinished in a nice dark color shortly after he and I moved in together. Because this room has so much of my "history" in it (in addition to all my "single person" stuff being here my high school yearbooks are on the bookshelf, etc,) it just feels really safe to me somehow. The rest of our apartment could get consumed in a fire and I wouldn't care (although i'd be bummed at the loss of the 250 bottles of wine in our dining room), but I'd be truly sad about everything in this room being destroyed.

I'm loving these lists and other reflections. So interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.

Right now, I LOVE my latex bed pillow. So far have lost two on trips and been able to replace them. I love it so much that I take it on trips both local and overseas. They are the perfect squishy yet firm feel. They dont permanently develop any depressions like cheap polyester or settle into shapes like feather pillows. Different feel than those memory foam pillows.

Right now I have the flu and am sleeping on the sofa with my favorite pillow.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Many years ago we bought a piece of Stickley furniture. It has beautiful inlays. We loved it so much we continued to save up and add to the collection and I believe these pieces will be around forever. Fortunately my children love them. Here is the end of a side table.

Rotate it 90 degrees to the right to get what I mean. Behind the table slats are actually the side of a bookcase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Many years ago we bought a piece of Stickley furniture. It has beautiful inlays. We loved it so much we continued to save up and add to the collection and I believe these pieces will be around forever. Fortunately my children love them. Here is the end of a side table.

Rotate it 90 degrees to the right to get what I mean. Behind the table slats are actually the side of a bookcase.
    That is gorgeous! I'm a sucker for the Craftsman style. I love Charles Rennie MacIntosh, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am enjoying this thread.

I love my little house which is a little quirky in design and building lot but perfect for me. Most of my contents and furniture is old or very simple and builder created the most beautiful sewing room for me when he finished the basement with an added BR, bathroom and TV room. As one post mentioned above, it feels like my sanctuary to come home and close the door on the world with all its challenges.
    My favourite time of day is the morning when I curl up in my comfy chair, a simple lap robe and do my meditation and prayers for the world with a fresh cup of coffee and my dog at my feet.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information