Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: “ Trump was uninformed”. Kelly

  1. #1
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,234

    “ Trump was uninformed”. Kelly

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...re-border.html

    shocker. John Kelly says the president was not fully informed when he made his wall promises. It will be interesting to see how this plays among his base who gleefully chanted “build that wall” as he promised a great big beautiful Across the entire border. Oh yeah, MExico won’t be paying for it. I guess even a stable genius can be misinformed.

  2. #2
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,234
    Retraction. Kelly must be a liar because now Trump is calling it fake news.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,701
    Well let me make a few observations and then a prediction.

    Trumps first and clearly boldest statement on the wall was made in his announcement to run speech at which time any candidate can rightfully claim they could not possibly have been fully informed. Especially one campaigning as an outsider.

    The wall “promise” can be spun by supporters and has been that it is more correctly characterized as his “intention”. Kings issue edicts and things are done, Presidents must have the cooperation of the other branches of government.

    There are at least eight prototypes being built. It seems likely that some form of the wall will be erected.

    What has caused people to dogmatically state that Mexico won’t pay for it is the flat out refusal of the Mexican government to acknowledge even consideration of transferring one peso over for the construction of a wall. That was understood clearly by Trumps base from the beginning. Trumps base clearly believes and has always believed that Trump would negotiate and cleverly out maneuver the Mexican government in trade deals which would result in a positive net income balance in the favor of the US, which would then be used to build the wall. Nobody ever expected the Mexicans to write a check.

    And the prediction: Trumps base will gleefully continue to chant : “Build That Wall” well into his second term of office if the economic indicators continue to be favorable. He has already been in office one year longer than anybody thought he would.

  4. #4
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well let me make a few observations and then a prediction.

    Trumps first and clearly boldest statement on the wall was made in his announcement to run speech at which time any candidate can rightfully claim they could not possibly have been fully informed. Especially one campaigning as an outsider.

    The wall “promise” can be spun by supporters and has been that it is more correctly characterized as his “intention”. Kings issue edicts and things are done, Presidents must have the cooperation of the other branches of government.

    There are at least eight prototypes being built. It seems likely that some form of the wall will be erected.

    What has caused people to dogmatically state that Mexico won’t pay for it is the flat out refusal of the Mexican government to acknowledge even consideration of transferring one peso over for the construction of a wall. That was understood clearly by Trumps base from the beginning. Trumps base clearly believes and has always believed that Trump would negotiate and cleverly out maneuver the Mexican government in trade deals which would result in a positive net income balance in the favor of the US, which would then be used to build the wall. Nobody ever expected the Mexicans to write a check.

    And the prediction: Trumps base will gleefully continue to chant : “Build That Wall” well into his second term of office if the economic indicators continue to be favorable. He has already been in office one year longer than anybody thought he would.
    Very sensible comment. However, read comments on sites like Fox and Facebook and responses to Trumps tweets and I think you will see a different picture. Many supporters believe there will be a wall entirely across the border and Mexico will indeed write a check. That is the irony. Wishing and hoping for things to be done is highly different from the funding and lawmaking process. Of course, people who watched what has happened to our political parties and their steadfastness against the sitting president regardless whether it is overall good for the country and who have the common sense like you stated would understand that. But I am not sure many Trump voters will accept much less than a great big beautiful wall. Unfortunately, we are just so divided common sense seems to have taken a backseat by both parties.

  5. #5
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11,860
    I always knew SOMETHiNG will be built and Trump will call it The Wall and brag about doing it. And that cant be a surprise because a “wall” can mean any variety of things.

    It is important to rememebr that Trump supportors take him seriously but not literally, while Trump haterzzzz take him literally but not seriously.

  6. #6
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Very sensible comment. However, read comments on sites like Fox and Facebook and responses to Trumos tweets and I think you will see a different picture. Many supporters believe there will be a wall entirely across the border and Mexico will indeed write a check. That is the irony.
    I think the real irony is that the media continues to reinforce the narrative. I listen to MSNBC on satellite radio during my one hour morning and evening commute. I can't remember a one hour block over the past year where we haven't been told the intention is for Mexico to write a check. I think it's intentionally misleading, but maybe that's just me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,576
    Scott Adams in his book Win Bigly stated that "We're going to build a big beautiful wall" was simply a great, easily remembered soundbite that made it clear to trump's supporters that he planned to address undocumented immigration much more effectively and convincingly than Hillary's "I'm going to enact comprehensive immigration reform" or whatever she actually said. Whether it ends up being a fence or whatever, if the number of undocumented people coming to the US is significantly reduced I doubt his supporters will care what it is.

  8. #8
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,698
    Know your audience; speak in sentences with words of one syllable.

  9. #9
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,383
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Know your audience; speak in sentences with words of one syllable.
    Yes, that's always been a successful strategy, limiting your message to one or two syllable words.
    "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"
    "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
    "You could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables" (to be fair, half of that audience probably had to sound out the 4 syllable ending but everyone got the meaning and after all this time still parrots it. Very effective!)
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think the real irony is that the media continues to reinforce the narrative. I listen to MSNBC on satellite radio during my one hour morning and evening commute. I can't remember a one hour block over the past year where we haven't been told the intention is for Mexico to write a check. I think it's intentionally misleading, but maybe that's just me.
    Of course. They are not o terested in reporting news but spinning the story so they can make money.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •