Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you in trouble when you jaywalk?

Are you in trouble when you jaywalk?

So my most challenged staff was hit by a car. She was walking because she can't drive. She only has a broken toe ( i was empathetic this time and cared a little)

when she checked in a few hours after her first call she told me she was jaywalking with her headphones in! First of all no women i know put both headphones in while walking or running. Second that means that likely she was at fault and not the driver. There are some people who know these things here,

“At fault” in what sense?

The human always has the right of way over the car. Are you asking if she has ground to sue?

The jaywalker is certainly guilty of poor situational awareness.

I'm not sure what you mean by "in trouble." In trouble at work?

If I were the driver I would be quite upset that this numpty in headphones walked in front of my car - she could have been killed!

The driver's insurance should not have to pay for her medical bills.

If she lived in my town, she could get a ticket for jaywalking - though the police might consider a broken toe punishment enough.

Everyone jaywalks in Boston.

My husband was a juror for a civil trial. Pedestrian was walking in the street at night in dark clothes and hit by a car. He died. His family sued driver. Jury decided he was more than 50% at fault and gave him nothing. Nothing ever entered as to the alcohol level of either person.

Broken toe, insurance company may pay just for the inconvenience of having to deal with issue.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Everyone jaywalks in Boston.
    Different story in LA's car based culture, or so I hear. I don't know about Colorado.

I was thinking about her getting a ticket for causing an accident, i guess it depends on what the driver wants to do

My daughter got a ticket for jaywalking in DC. How do you define jaywalking? Was she crossing the street in the middle of the block?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It is a ticketable offense and there is the possibility of "no fault" where each is responsible for their own expenses. However the car will get a ticket for failure to yield which is what cars drivers are supposed to do for humans.

Thread Information