Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In love with this cabin!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In love with this cabin!!

Now that I'm on the internet every day looking for ways to decorate my little house in VT, I ran across this cabin and am in love. While my house couldn't ever look like that exacty--this is deep in the mountains, where mine is on a lake, this is not insulated and mine is--if I could somehow steal the vibe...!

https://www.zillow.com/blog/bohemian...ource=facebook
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh i love it, are you putting in a zip line?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Oh i love it, are you putting in a zip line?
    Haha! Well, maybe, once I build the treehouse from which to zip line! Maybe zipline right into Lake Champlain? Awesome!

As for the tub, I am a proud owner of a clawfoot tub (white, not red, like the one in the picture). The inspector said that our tub is actually more valuable than others because it's smaller. Most are 5 feet, mine if 4 feet, so you can't really stretch out in it, but the size makes it rare. So DH said, let's sell that sucker, to which I said, "Over my bathing body!"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I've always loved vacation cabins/cottages and a boho vibe, so this is right up my zip line, so to speak.

Love it!
    The tub! I wish dad had put an old tub in his cabin instead of a small stand up shower. As it is you can only take a super quick shower with a bag of water that is warmed on the roof. He hasn't put in a water heater yet.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That tub! Awesome.

"Really cute cabin but not for retirees and their future challenges," says this very practical voice.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I can imagine good times in that tree house.

I wonder what is the function of the white fabric around the sitting porch... is it protection from falling pine cones?

I can't tell what the clearance is around the wood stove, but I would assume the clearance was reduced by shielding, all up to local code.

Unfortunately wildfires are a fact of life. The National Fire Prevention Association has published standards which may be helpful in mitigating the risk of wildfire damage.

The skylights may tend to collect pine needles. Unless the debris is removed, there is a risk of ignition caused by embers from a wildfire.

In the aftermath of wildfires in Tennessee, it was noted that houses with corrugated metal roofs had a 70% survival rate, but houses with wood shingle roofs survived 19%.

The US Forest Service has developed the concept of the "Ignition Zone" around a structure in the woods. The spacing of live trees should be wider nearer to the structure.

Distance from building - Spacing between tree tops (minimum)
    5-30 feet - 18 feet
    30-60 feet - 12 feet
    60-100 feet - 6 feet

I will try to provide a link to NFPA:

www.nfpa.org

$300,000 for 324 sq.ft.

Wonder about the creek right behind the house. Gravel bars = potential flood risk??

Doubt if a mortgage is even possible.

Interesting vibe for a quick vacation spot.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    $300,000 for 324 sq.ft.

Wonder about the creek right behind the house. Gravel bars = potential flood risk??

Doubt if a mortgage is even possible.

Interesting vibe for a quick vacation spot.
    All you very pragmatic simple livers--Just to be clear, I am NOT buying this cabin, but I just love the look of it.

sweetana3, yes, $300k for 324 sq. ft. Hmm.. but it IS in California.

I just saw another awesome tiny house on Pinterest and it had a greenhouse. Don't you think a little greenhouse would fit perfectly behind my new house? The entrance to it could be an expansion of that big window-that-should-be-a-door.

ETA: It seems that I caught the iris lilies syndrome of upside-down photos. ??

IMG_0228.jpg

Thread Information