Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 100

Thread: Why I Donít Recycle

  1. #41
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,137
    I have no clue but what percentage of the plastic Recyclables we sell to China gets sent back to us in the form of non recyclable plastic packaging in cheap consumables?

    The one article I referenced stated that 10% of the recyclable material placed in your blue bin gets sent directly to the landfill and of the 90% left, another 25% gets sorted out for things like contamination. If that is true then fully one third of recycling is useless and customers are paying once for regular trash and a second time to throw “recyclables in their blue bin that is going to be treated like trash and sent to the landfill. So that Is not being too frugal and quite wasteful of your financial resources.

    And whatever happened to biodegradable packaging?

  2. #42
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,597
    There is an old abandoned landfill nearby that they have developed to capture methane from the decomposing organics. I don't think the technology is up to it becoming profitable and wide spread. And I don't think of it as an excuse to fill landfills with impunity.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,965
    They might excavate the landfills but wow would they be toxic if they ever did. People even throw the stuff you really aren't supposed to throw in the trash in there (electronics, paint, serious household chemicals, batteries, etc.),
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,137
    Well, the real problem is not all people agree that convenience “culture” is unsustainable. And so we have a lag between an organized effort to reduce and a wait for technology mindset.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,965
    There is an old abandoned landfill nearby that they have developed to capture methane from the decomposing organics. I don't think the technology is up to it becoming profitable and wide spread. And I don't think of it as an excuse to fill landfills with impunity.
    there is of course also the issue that as landfills become filled up they have to truck the garbage to further and further away landfills which is both costly and has a carbon impact. So even if recycling doesn't always solve the problem, filling up the landfills is clearly a bad idea.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  6. #46
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    And whatever happened to biodegradable packaging?
    One of my other classmates (known for annoying and time-consuming anecdotes about how the subject matter relates to her) talked at length about how the snacks that she brought in today were from Whole Foods, and the muffins are wonderful, and vegan mind you, but the "environmentally-friendly" packaging was so bad that the muffins didn't even make it down the belt through the check-out. That's Terrible!

    So, it seems there an unmet need in the market for biodegradable packaging that will make it from the Whole Foods display to Recycling Class.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  7. #47
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    They might excavate the landfills but wow would they be toxic if they ever did. People even throw the stuff you really aren't supposed to throw in the trash in there (electronics, paint, serious household chemicals, batteries, etc.),
    People? You mean me and you and all my neighbors because I can’t afford to pay the outrageous costs associated with the “proper” disposal of my mercury vapor lights, used oil, tires, electronics and televisions. Besides, they all end up at the landfill anyway.

  8. #48
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    People? You mean me and you and all my neighbors because I can’t afford to pay the outrageous costs associated with the “proper” disposal of my mercury vapor lights, used oil, tires, electronics and televisions. Besides, they all end up at the landfill anyway.
    Move to Middlesex County where disposal of all those things you mentioned are absolutely free. And they don't wind up in the landfill.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  9. #49
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    One of my other classmates (known for annoying and time-consuming anecdotes about how the subject matter relates to her) talked at length about how the snacks that she brought in today were from Whole Foods, and the muffins are wonderful, and vegan mind you, but the "environmentally-friendly" packaging was so bad that the muffins didn't even make it down the belt through the check-out. That's Terrible!

    So, it seems there an unmet need in the market for biodegradable packaging that will make it from the Whole Foods display to Recycling Class.
    Perhpas that’s why I fantasize about a market shift toward local food. A reduced need for bionic packaging that can withstand transportation across the continent. A simple paper bag that I can make a hand puppet out of.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,965
    Well, the real problem is not all people agree that convenience “culture” is unsustainable. And so we have a lag between an organized effort to reduce and a wait for technology mindset.
    some things are cultural but I don't believe convenience is really a cultural phenomena entirely. Ok many people don't think about packaging, and companies also produce a lot of extra packaging (which may be a large part of the problem what companies produce and packaging that merchants use and so on), but convenience is also a symptom of being overwhelmed.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •