Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Why I Don’t Recycle

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    While the razor makes its way to my door, I did some math. The case of 24 bottles of water I have in the garage holds about as much water as three gallon jugs. Since the price of a case is @ $5 and the price of three gallons is @ 2.50... well that’s a no brained to me. Just have to get two metal water containers about the size of a water bottle for the fridge. I’m wondering about the difference in plastic between gallon jugs and individual bottles? By recycling energy costs and by actual material content.
    Is it possible to filter the water? Would that be a better option than buying water?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Is it possible to filter the water? Would that be a better option than buying water?
    That's why I do. Before we had a filter on our refrigerator I used a Brita. You can also install a filtration system on your tap.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I thought this question would be coming. When I purchased my condo there was a kinetico water softening system and a separate under the sink unit. The contract stated the kinetico system stays with the condo. Imagine my surprise when the under the sink unit and filter were gone when I moved in. Alright, they got me because I wasn’t diligent enough to literally spell out the separate two systems.

So soon after I moved in I got a call from the water purification company that installed the kinetico system. The guy wants to know if I need new cartridges for my filtering system. I told him I’m the new owner and the old owner took it with him. Now he shifts gears and offers a free water purity demo. What the heck, I’ve tossed people out who wore out their welcome before, I’ll just add him to the list.

So he shows up and goes through his whole canned magic show. And tries to sell me a new unit for $500 ish bucks. On top of that the new unit measures every ounce that goes through your filter and shuts it off when you reach the “maximum allowed” use. So you have to go buy new filters at $100 plus a crack. I say no thanks and show him the door, give him a gentle nudge and thank him as he is pulling out the drive.

The township I live in provides water from a couple deep wells. They are responsible for the purity of the water up until it reaches our community and then because our pipeline is privately owned, that throws an unknown into the situation. And I have misgivings about the possible contamination of the water table in our immediate area.

Although one cannot make a direct correlation between the underground water table and the local watershed which feeds it....I do have concerns about the agriculture, logging, mineral extraction, development and industrial waste that represent potential threats.

So, I have come to the conclusion that since the bottled water industry is fairly loosely regulated.....my solution of purchasing water not only doesn’t make sense healthwise but economically also. I’m trying to solve the economics of it first and then look for a water quality solution. Testing would seem to be costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    look for a water quality solution. Testing would seem to be costly.
    Does one of your state universities offer water-testing as a service to residents? Perhaps a county or state extension office? The cost for that might be minimal and you could have more confidence in their testing than in testing by a company that can (will) sell you an answer to whatever they find.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve has a good idea. Based on what you said I think I would be buying water also. My community tells what is in our water and I HAVE to purify it. Sad.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Does one of your state universities offer water-testing as a service to residents? Perhaps a county or state extension office? The cost for that might be minimal and you could have more confidence in their testing than in testing by a company that can (will) sell you an answer to whatever they find.
    Okay, apparently I’ve opened a Pandora’s box of conundrums. I have a Penn State Extension Office within 10 miles of my residence. They will provide a water testing kit that includes a bacteria test, a first draw lead test, and a third catch all bottle for any additional testing you choose. The standard cost for testing is $50. But packages are as costly as $110 depending on the thoroughness of the testing.

The bacteria test has to be delivered to the lab which happens to be 3 1/2 plus hours from my home. The package can be overnighted but it has to be there not more than 30 hrs from draw.

I also understand from further reading that the Kinetico system I have which uses salt as a method to remove hardness from my water....DOES NOT.....deposit significant additional sodium chloride into my drinking water. This I did not know. I was always also opposed to using a complete reverse osmosis system that removes virtually all minerals from the water.

So, there is a possibility I could be satisfied with the test results of my drinking water, and eliminate purchasing bottled water altogether. That would be awesome. The extension office recommends testing every 14 months in order to get a profile of your drinking water that depicts seasonal changes.

Thank You for your response, SteveinMN!

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Thank you Bae!

I just drink the water from my tap. My DH only drinks filtered water.

We have high quality, good tasting water here so I don't worry about it. Am glad I dont have to worry about it.

But some neighbors have all of the contraptions ya’ll are talking about and I just see those as consumeristic trappings.

I do realize that In some places water treatment may be advised and even necessary, in others not advised or necessary. . And as always
    I might make different decisions were I were raising small children. There are so many thngs their little bodies are asaulted with that were not around when we were children.

Thread Information