Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Why I Don’t Recycle

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    It looks like savings at the pump. And there is a lobby to argue that it is environmentally friendly. But actually, driving on corn ethanol is a huge environmental step back.

so, yeah, I have no intention of putting that in my tank.

this morning I intruded dh to the idea of a reusable bottle for his lunch juice (for years he took a can of soda and recycling the can didn’t bother me. Then he switched to canned juice “drinks” but now he is drinking straight up juice and it comes in plastic bottles. I have to work on the idea slowly.
    If you are like me, I am more of the type of person to wear you down over time. I don’t give up easy. But there are things DW has refused to consider and I’ve learned that modeling the behavior is the best way. After all, these are my convictions, not hers. I try to give her space to be different even if it means she’s not the frugal, simple, minimalistic partner my current fantasy alledges. Truth is for most of our married life, she held us together managing finances, running the logistics of a five person household.

Now to aluminum. At an average price of 30-35 cents a pound, and a pound made up of about 33 cans you see that collecting cans is about as fruitful as picking up a lost penny. Every can represents about a penny. My household might go through one or two cans per day. If I saved a years worth and took it to the metal recycle place, I’d probably realize a return of maybe 30 pounds of cans....$10. That’s a rough guess. At best, I’d be stopping throwing about a dollar a month away.

That’s why I don’t recycle aluminum cans anymore. And here’s the kicker, the recycle place is loaded with sharp objects, nails and glass which puncture tires. A puncture tire could easily cost a couple years effort to pay for a plug.

Some of the most efficient aluminum can recycling I've seen is people picking through the trash in alleys for any sort of metals. They take only what is recyclable and they deliver it to the metal recyclers and they get a little money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Some of the most efficient aluminum can recycling I've seen is people picking through the trash in alleys for any sort of metals. They take only what is recyclable and they deliver it to the metal recyclers and they get a little money for it.
    In my neighborhood there are metal collectors who regularly pick up cans. Often they get cans out of the recycling dumpsters. In the olden days around here, before recycling dumpsters a
    pears, some neighbors had a special bag hanging on their back fence where they deposited their soda cans, and the pickers came by to get them.

We don't drink sodas so dont have these cans to dispose of.

The behavior i’m modeling is drinking water from the tap, or tea or coffee made from water from the tap in a glass or mug. And milk from a goat in a glass or heated with cocoa and sugar in a mug. The day he drinks goat milk, I’ll faint.

i only drink juice of there is booze in it. The booze comes in large glass bottles, which I recycle. I would totally pay a deposit on them!

Williamsmith
    Operation “No Bottled Water” has been approved and launch is set to coincide with me running out of the current inventory I have on hand. I have already received the report on my tap water quality from Penn State’s Agriculture Analytical Services Lab. This lab is accredited and I chose it rather than a private lab so that the funds could assist my old alma mater.

The test results included are :

Total Coliform bacteria.......0
    E. coli bacteria.................0
    Ph.................................7.75
    Total dissolved solids........359 mg/L

The drinking water standards respectively are:

6.5-8.5
    500 mg/L

So as you can see the tap water is just fine. I have a water pitcher with a carbon based replaceable filter that I saved from our last residence where we had a 75 ft deep well as our water supply. Both I and my neighbors applied fertilizer to to the lawn with weed killer and so I suspended use of the well for drinking water.

My current residence is fed by water from an authority which draws from deep aquifers. The city nearby recently voted to add fluoride to their water. I am glad I am not on that system.

Soon I will be contributing very little plastic to the landfill. And I will be saving money. Now that’s just good backwoods logic!

Yahoo William smith. congratulations and how nice to know your water is safe, too.

1A on NPR was a nice recycling show this week. We just spoke of the cardboard that I get piled high each week from Amazon. Yes I order just about everything even toilet paper. Husband said jokingly Amazon will have to move to the recycling of these boxes. I lug them to the recycle bin each week and notice there are two dumpsters now there for cardboard. The show stated the the same "the browning of the bins" meaning how much more cardboard there is on due to ordering.

Williamsmith, how is your project going?

i bought dh a good thermos and have been putting his juice in it. The juice still comes in plastic, but now it is a large bottle or gallon jug. Less plastic per day and many fewer lids.

Amazon and the boxes - I used to beg parents for bubble wrap and shoeboxes or small cardboard boxes so their kids could bring their projects home safely. Now I am out of storage space in my classroom!

i am hoping the tariffs will raise the price of scrap and encourage metal recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Well, I think the earth has pretty much been polluted beyond the possibility of repair. So while I am outright trashing the place on my own (though I certainly contribute to much of the pollution) I don't really worry about it.

It is all over by the shouting, CL.

Also: Turning your property into a well-organized or not-so-well organized landfill doesn't really change the situation.

I am not sure how helpful this is. It probably isn't.

Remember that old movie Dr. Strangelove?

The second title of it was: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

So I think of our environmental catastrophe like that. Why bother worrying over it. We are all f-cked.
    I’d prefer to go down with my head held high and my self-respect intact! So I shall continue making as light a footprint as I can manage.

I choose to keep recycling too. It is the least I can do.

Thread Information