Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Don’t Recycle

We have a situation here which is good. One of our local scrap metal places takes the metal trash our group brings in and pays us for it. It can be cans, washing machines, tin foil, etc. Each month the group has raised about $500 or so for the animal cause they work for.

By the way, a lot of plastic packaging is there to deter shoplifters. More for higher end things of small things other than groceries where it is clearly more marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    There is less demand for recyclables since China is reducing the amount that they will accept. This Forbes story seems to give a balanced picture on the dilemma we are facing. Some solutions are suggested which is good.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco.../#4ba89e8f2122
    Yes, just saw this on my FB news feed: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/1...acebook.com%2F

How ridiculous is it that we send our crap to China to sort?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Our products come with a ridiculous amount of packaging. I also do not buy water in plastic bottles. What about filling a travel mug with water when you are going places.
    I am torn. I agree. I have fallen victim of the convenience of the plastic bottle. But on the other hand as Bae points out. Could the landfill be the future place we mine for petroleum products? If that’s the case, then we would be reducing our retirement contributions......hmmmm?

If we watch what we purchase, it means less to dispose of however it is done. i went by our local Walmart and the parking lot was almost as busy as at Christmas time. What is everyone buying keeping the stores so busy? I bought some stamps, socks, fruit, milk and came home. Others were going out with full shopping carts.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

OUr recycling company used to take everything, but they have been cutting back a lot. Cardboard is still taken, but we're going to have to pay to have plastics recycled.

Oregon recently passed a bottle bill with a deposit of .10 on every bottle - the street people are cleaning up, literally and figuratively.

Metal recycling is still the most viable. At a house where I have done pet sitting, I have watched as the bins that are paid for, by taxes, in that city, for recycling, are placed at the curb, and there are times when they are picked up and thrown in the same landfill truck as the non recyclable.
    Also I think it was Bae that mentioned future recycling/mining operations. Until that point I am reminded of some uses that landfills have become over the world.
    http://www.golf.com/photos/waste-not-want-not#1
    http://www.billycasperdigitalnetwork...ormer-landfill
    https://www.alpineinitiatives.org/bl...ll-to-ski-hill

I figure at some point, people will look at these area's, as potential reforestation area's, as well as area's for groups like NASA, to see/test teraforming idea's (dealing with other/toxic environments).

The part i dont get about recycling is when people dont have curbside pickup and have to drive their own stuff to the recycling facility. How can it be even vaguely logical for every person to drive to the recycling place with a bag of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The part i dont get about recycling is when people dont have curbside pickup and have to drive their own stuff to the recycling facility. How can it be even vaguely logical for every person to drive to the recycling place with a bag of plastic.
    We used to have curbside recycling then a new company took over trash pick up and we have to buy recycle bags or take recycle to a recycle center nearly 20 miles from our house. There were many recycle totes set out on trash pick up day with curbside service but I have not seen one recycle bag set out since the change in companies. Also, the cost of trash service is more with the new company….more money, less service. We were avid recyclers but do not recycle now.

This thread is hard for me to read and I should probably stay out of it, but I can’t help reading.

waste is a really big trigger for me on the hoarding. The ability to recycle (misguided or not, and I do read a lot and am not settled on the issue) has made a big impact on my ability to let things go. The situation with plastics and China actually has me very stressed.

some of you may remember that I cancelled my trash service almost a year ago. I struggle to reduce the intake of material I will not be keeping. Styrofoam and food packaging are the biggest difficulties. Currently I am dropping recycling at a community “single stream” recycling point and hoping for the best.

i try to keep organic matter from leaving my property. This includes most cardboard - which I use as underlayment for mulch.

i am attempting to return my trash to point of purchase - for example, when I go to the grocery store, I drop a plastic bag of food packaging trash in the trash can out front. I have no concerns about this because the cans are clearly for customers, I am a customer, and the trash was provided to me by the store in spite of my best efforts to avoid it. If they want to pass the cost of trash disposal on to shoppers, i’m Ok with that too. It brings the “true cost” closer to the consumer.

i also burn some “trash” such as wood scrap, waxed or food contaminated paper, and low grade paper (used in starting the wood stove)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    This thread is hard for me to read and I should probably stay out of it, but I can’t help reading.
    I knew you would jump in soon enough.

Thread Information