Thread: The Sexual Abuse of the Gymnasts

The Sexual Abuse of the Gymnasts

As you may be hearing on the news, At least 60 girls/women have come forward saying that Nasser, a doctor for U.S.A. Gymnastics, had sexually abused them when they were training.
    What I don't understand is, where were the parents? Did these girls never say anything to their parents about this, when it was happening??

I believe that they were young and at first weren't sure that what this very respected doctor was doing was inappropriate and wouldn't have mentioned it to anybody. Abusers have an uncanny sense on who to pick that won't push back. It can also be imperceptible at first and then change little by little and be confusing. I'm sure those girls were spending a lot of time questioning themselves before questioning a respected doctor.

Yppej
    One mother was in the room for her daughter's "exam" and said the doctor positioned himself so that she could not see what was happening.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    As you may be hearing on the news, At least 60 girls/women have come forward saying that Nasser, a doctor for U.S.A. Gymnastics, had sexually abused them when they were training.
    What I don't understand is, where were the parents? Did these girls never say anything to their parents about this, when it was happening??
    CathyA, I believe this website does a good job explaining the concept of “grooming” as it relates to sexual predators and their victims. Check it out and see if it doesn’t help clarify your confusion.

Nasser will never again see the light of day.

http://victimsofcrime.org/media/repo...dynamic-of-csa

Maybe I had an extraordinary relationship with my DD, but I just can't imagine her not telling me something like this. But I do understand the power thing and how the perp makes it all very confusing.
    My guess is that Nasser will try to kill himself.
    Yppej.......how disgusting that he could be so bold as to do it even with the mother in the room. It's frightening how much some people can hide who they are for so long.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    CathyA, I believe this website does a good job explaining the concept of “grooming” as it relates to sexual predators and their victims. Check it out and see if it doesn’t help clarify your confusion.

Nasser will never again see the light of day.

http://victimsofcrime.org/media/repo...dynamic-of-csa
    excellent. CathyA, I think your innocent question is exactly why victims don’t come forward. Who would believe them? I spent my life working with abuse victims and many do say something but are dismissed or made to feel like they asked for it or are telling exaggerated stories. Or threatened.

Is anyone one aware that the Pope has been in Chile? As the sex abuse scandal continues on he accused some of the victims of slander.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42745170

would you not think he would know better than to declare the victims liars?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    CathyA, I think our law enforcement members probably have stories to tell about the power the perpetrators have over abuse victims. Have you ever read a news story where the police are called to a house over a domestic dispute? When the police try to intervene or arrest the abuser the victim then turns on the police. Sometimes the victim refuses to press charges. Or the difficulty abuse victims have in leaving the abusive partner and continually return to the situation, trying to be better so they are not abused again? It happens all the time and to outsiders it seems unbelievable and insane behavior.

very complicated situations which unfortunately can put officers in harms way, especially with drugs or alcohol on board.

Thread Information